Talk

Advanced search

Can I speak to HR for so policy clarifiction in confidence?

(13 Posts)
Testyisanicerword Tue 31-Jan-17 13:43:02

Just this really.im on maternity leave and want some clarification on something but don't want managers or colleagues to know. If i contact HR and ask, do they have to tell my manager etc?

Thanks

HandbagFan Tue 31-Jan-17 20:56:47

They don't have to tell your manager, but they may feel it's in the best interests of the business to do so.

Do you have an HR shared service team? They're far less likely to pass the info on than if you have a smaller HR function.

HeCantBeSerious Tue 31-Jan-17 20:58:19

Do you have an HR shared service team? They're far less likely to pass the info on than if you have a smaller HR function.

Huh? That's not even slightly scientific!

SarahOoo Tue 31-Jan-17 22:58:44

HeCantBeSerious haha it's a HR team usually set within a large organisation so if you asked them for something they're very unlikely to go and tell the line manager concerned.

Testyisanicerword can you post what it is on here? We may be able to help you!

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 31-Jan-17 23:09:30

testy - they are not obliged to keep anything secret and may have a duty to inform your manager. However if it's something like choosing not to return or going off on mat leave again straight away you do have legal protection. Can't you ask a friend to download the policy for you?

HandbagFan Tue 31-Jan-17 23:43:38

HeCantBeSerious - only based on my entire work history being in HR, sorry if you think I'm wrong. An HRSS operation being run centrally is used to answering all manner of policy questions without being worried about why the person is asking or whether their manager should be informed.

But, you know, clearly I'm wrong...

WhisperingLoudly Tue 31-Jan-17 23:51:15

If you want clarification on maternity provision because you're pregnant again and you're planning on running two periods of mat leave together they'll almost certainly tell your line manager grin

HeCantBeSerious Wed 01-Feb-17 06:53:54

Hmmmm. My (broad) experience (15 years in HR, predominantly management) in organisations in the public (up to 6000 staff) and private sector (including international firm with 2000 staff) differs.

HeCantBeSerious Wed 01-Feb-17 07:02:27

Why don't you want your manager to know, OP?

flowery Wed 01-Feb-17 08:29:12

In answer to your question whether they 'have to' tell your manager, no. If you ask them to keep it confidential they ought to. I would also agree that if you have a central HR service helpline-type arrangement where the person answering the phone is less likely to have a relationship with your manager the chances are even more remote.

But I would suggest putting the policy wording you're not sure about here and we'll interpret for you.

Astoria7974 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:43:16

HRAs in large companies won't ever tell your manager because the companies tend to have a culture that promotes employee welfare (or tries to). Larger companies tend to offer bigger salaries so attract the best and highly qualified staff. HRAs in small companies tend to perform personnel management roles (majorly so if they sit in the same room as the manager) & so they will probably tell.

Testyisanicerword Tue 21-Feb-17 21:31:22

Hi all, I am so sorry I'm late replying. Didn't think anyone would reply.

Scenerio....
On maternity leave, had really bad Pnd and decided not to go back.
Maternity package includes stipulation of returning for 3mnths to be able to keep Occupational maternity payment.
Retention package includes a paid leave 3mnths period
Already had paid leave period provisionally agreed to run after maternity leave and i want to know from HR if this will count as 3mnths returned to work hence covering the omp not having to be paid back
The policies don't mention it and my union said it's unlikely to be an issue as if I went on the leave when not on maternity leave I'd still be classed as working (accruing leave etc).

I don't want my manager to find out as I'm paranoid she'll make a case for me not to have the paid leave or things really difficult for me. I have no trust in my company anymore sadly.

Again, so sorry for the delay. Im so grateful for all the advice.

flowery Wed 22-Feb-17 07:19:13

Well I would very much doubt that extending your maternity leave with a different form of paid leave counts as "returning to work", to be honest. If the policy says "remain in employment" for three months, fine, but you won't be "returning to work", so I can't imagine they'll be happy to let you benefit from enhanced maternity pay and the retention (clue is in the name) package of extra paid leave as well.

If you want to post the actual wording of the policy on here I'll give an opinion as to whether you've got a reasonable argument.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now