Talk

Advanced search

Help I am going round in circles - work vs childcare!!

(9 Posts)
Heydoodledandy Tue 31-Jan-17 11:20:26

Hi - I know this question has been raised in a hundred different ways before, but it really is doing my head in and I seem to not be moving forward on any front! I am hoping a few of you will have had similar experiences you might share with me to help clear my head :-)

I am a mum of 3 gorgeous (and lively!) kids under the age of 8. Last year I gave up my full time job in finance when I felt I'd reached breaking point - physically unwell, series of bad experiences with nannies, and generally not feeling very appreciated on any front. This last year I have been trying to find work options that would maximise my time with the kids (one is still only in nursery mornings) and allow me to maintain my financial independence as well as not losing my contact with a career I worked so hard to build. I've managed to pick up a few things, but nothing substantial, and am struggling with what I am doing I guess. My prior career was an auditor in the city - so many of the obvious roles for me are still city based (with city hours) and or consulting (which isn't much better). Add to that, at the time I left my old job I was starting to feel like I was over it really, so have been considering retraining in something. Am I mad to leave behind 20 years of experience and start again? And even if I do, what are the roles that will let you work around school hours, earn decent money, and where can I find them!?!

thepetitpear Tue 31-Jan-17 11:56:19

Absolutely not mad to retrain! The worlds your oyster.

I too left a career in the gas industry after 13 years to spend more time with my children. I wanted the best of both worlds but my employer was having none of it. This time I get is precious but like you, need my own money.

I have applied for an evening job which suits our family perfectly and I've been offered (there's a separate post on that!) but I'm also doing a degree with the OU to keep my mind active and to help towards establishing a new career when the time is right.

Heydoodledandy Tue 31-Jan-17 12:44:55

thepetitpear can you share the link to your other post?

I love that you are so clear about what is right for you now, but are preparing for the future at the same time. I think that is half the battle - accepting that priorities are different and finding another way to meet you needs.

What are you planning to do in the future?

thepetitpear Tue 31-Jan-17 13:01:36

It's a very boring post about the job offer potentially being withdrawn due to the credit check!

I'd like to get into caring but not sure whether with kids or the elderly yet. Or maybe even nursing!

Heydoodledandy Thu 02-Feb-17 09:36:24

thepetitpear well done you for making the change!

I've been thinking about lecturing or tutoring - I'm not a qualified teacher though so would have to do some postgrad studies, and even then I have lots of teachers telling me it is not as family friendly as you might think! Other options I've considered are training in career coaching and even pilates (which I love).

A home-based or term time job would be my ideal - but they are so few and far between.

eurochick Thu 02-Feb-17 09:39:37

What about self-employed accountancy? You could do it at home in school hours and would be using some of your existing skills and so wouldn't need to completely retrain.

2014newme Thu 02-Feb-17 09:43:08

School bursar? School business manager?
Maths teaching part time?
Accounting part time? Book keeper?
School administration?
Check private schools as well as state.

Heydoodledandy Thu 02-Feb-17 18:16:54

Embarrassed to say that although i trained as accountant 18 year ago, that was probably the last time I did anything that resembled accounts - I did controls and assurance type work since, plus to be honest I don't think I was a particularly good accountant in the first place! That being said, if someone had told me then, what I know now, I would have hung in there until I was, because there is no doubt it gives some better options for flexible working.

School bursar roles are interesting - although I've heard that these are not term time roles?

Heydoodledandy Mon 06-Feb-17 11:09:54

I worked out last night, that if I didn't increase my childcare then I would have 12 hours I could work a week - across 4 mornings. When my youngest starts school this would increase to 25 hours. What businesses/ jobs have people done that work well with these limited hours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now