Talk

Advanced search

Anyone that works within law, please help!

(10 Posts)
Macaroni22 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:43:40

I'm a single parent, currently studying with cilex (at very beginning stages of level 3). I initially started this course because I would love to become a family lawyer. However I'm not sure if I was being rather too ambitious?
I am a lone parent to my DD age 3 and have no childcare other than what I can pay for (nursery at the moment and when she goes to school next year after school club/nanny). Ideally I would only like to work 3 days poss 4 a week else my DD will have to go to before and after school club every single day which I don't think is fair on her.
Anyway my question am I ridiculous to think I could be a part time family lawyer?! What areas of law would you say offer the best work/home balance? Or am I doomed to be stuck in a dead end job for the foreseeable future?! Any other advice for me at this stage would be most welcome :D

Arcadia Sun 29-Jan-17 19:49:54

I am a part-time family lawyer! Qualified when DD was born. Worked 3 days per week until DD around 6 then went to 3.5 days. She is 7 now. It is possible. I am not a single parent but my OH works FT. You would probably want to go for a small friendly firm rather than a large corporate firm. You may not earn as much but should be less pressure. I don't generally have to work weekends or evenings.
I think it is valuable to have a child of your own doing family law.
Let me know if you have questions!

janesmom Sun 29-Jan-17 20:09:21

Lawyer but not family law.

Have met and know plenty of pt women in law. As Arcadia said, small firms generally better for this kind of thing.

If you want it, go for it! Unlikely to be easiest life but for most of us it is a rewarding one.

Macaroni22 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:20:54

Sorry for late reply! Thanks for your responses it's reassuring to know it is possible. I've been scanning about jobs at the moment just to see what is available and all that ever seems to be about in my area is conveyancing jobs. Which is odd as I thought that sector was more on the decline than any?!
Would you say family law is difficult to actually get a job from part time?
Just worried about putting in all the effort and studying the l6 in family and not finding a job at the end or whether to consider something that's easier to find a job from

Arcadia Tue 31-Jan-17 18:06:00

OP I had assumed you had some family law experience? If not I would try and get yourself at least some work experience in the field asap as it is not for everyone. What attracts you to family law?

Personally I would find conveyancing dull but equally some people would hate family law as it is stressful and intense with lots of litigation.

If you are training as a legal exec doesn't that mean you are already working within law? If so it may be better to stick to what you already know?

MrTCakes Wed 01-Feb-17 19:46:10

Macaroni I am in the same situation as you, i'm a single parent to 3 year old ds and have recently started studying cilex level 3 family law. I am looking to move house soon as there is very little work where I live, but in the meantime I have been applying for legal assistant/receptionist/secretarial roles in law firms. Nothing yet though!
Message me if you fancy a chat, would be nice to know someone in the same situation.

Macaroni22 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:11:28

Ah that's nice to know someone is in a similar situation. I just feel so clueless at the moment! I've only done the first units of cilex l3 (intro, client care and legal research) but am not working in the legal field yet.
I want to work in family law as I'd like to know I've played an important role in somebodies life when they've needed it most- I feel it would be the most rewarding. And it's demanding enough not to get bored in!
Can I ask how you got into this work arcadia ? Did you work for the same firm as a legal secretary and work your way up? How would I go about getting work experience? What would you say is thr most challenging part of family law?
Sorry so many questions! I'll stop now grin

Arcadia Wed 01-Feb-17 22:11:04

Can I ask how you got into this work arcadia ? Did you work for the same firm as a legal secretary and work your way up? How would I go about getting work experience? What would you say is thr most challenging part of family law?

I used to work in publishing then ended up as a secretary in a law firm and got the 'bug'. I arranged to do the conversion law degree (I had a non law degree) then the LPC. I sent my CV round to local law firms offering to do admin/typing work on a temp basis whilst studying and got some really useful work, going along to court hearings to take notes etc. Then got longer term typing work in a firm that did legal aid family whilst completing my studies. I got a training contract there, then have moved a couple of times since then. Get yourself out there, use any contacts you may have, show willing and it should happen! People skills and common sense are very important in family law. The hardest thing is probably how emotionally draining it can be dealing with upset people and the stress of court proceedings and deadlines. Never boring though!

Arcadia Wed 01-Feb-17 22:12:01

Why area are you? I'm Thames valley.

Arcadia Wed 01-Feb-17 22:12:17

Sorry - what area!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now