Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If I sign a contract for a new job, then back out, what are the consequences?

(5 Posts)
kardashianklone Sat 28-Jan-17 23:10:48

I've been offered a new job from company A. The salary is a little bit more than my current salary. I think the job would be ok, but I don't think it is the perfect fit. However, I don't feel secure or happy in my current job (which I've had for about 2 years). I'm also interviewing for another job, which I do want (COMPANY B), but I won't hear back from until next week. I've been stalling Company A, who has offered me the job while I wait to hear results from the interview from company B. Company A are now demanding a signed contract by Monday. They said once I sign, it is legally binding. So my question is....if I sign, and then I get an offer from the other place, what are the consequences? Can they sue me? force me to start work there? Cause me any problems?

ChuckSnowballs Sat 28-Jan-17 23:14:14

If you get the other job, you would just give notice and it is highly unlikely they will put you through a whole induction and force you to work out your notice. Plus then you could just call in sick. Waste of their time.
I would a sign it for now, after checking there was only a weeks notice in the first month.

DropZoneOne Sat 28-Jan-17 23:21:36

Whilst you would be in breach of contract, in reality all that will happen is that you will piss off company A and burn any bridges of working there.

In my last company, we had a chap start, go to lunch and simply not come back! He didn't return any calls, we had no idea what had happened, but assumed a better offer came up. It wasn't a totally junior position either. Not worth anyone's time to pursue it, just readvertised the job PDQ.

kardashianklone Sat 28-Jan-17 23:30:04

In probation period (3 months) employment at company A would be subject to 2 weeks notice of termination by either party. If I got the job with company b, the salary would be a lot higher, which is why I'm fingers crossing, but it would likely go to second interview, which means yet another week of not knowing the outcome.I'm feeling quite pushed by company A. The HR there told me this was very unusual and usually people sign immediately and don't keep them waiting.

daisychain01 Sun 29-Jan-17 08:39:09

I wouldn't want to move from a company where I had employment rights (ie 2 years' service history) to a company where the job is just OK. If you "settle" for the job, you are highly likely to feel discontent and back on the jobs market in a year's time.

Even if Company B doesn't offer you a job, I would still let Company A know you have a 2nd interview elsewhere and that you don't want to mess them about so would rather be honest as to why you are hesitating.

You may find they come back with an improved salary if they really want you. Or they may just say they will retract their offer. Either way it doesn't sound to me like you have your heart in it (not a criticism just a fact) not a good way to start a new job...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now