Talk

Advanced search

Job Offer Potentially Being Withdrawn!

(14 Posts)
thepetitpear Sat 28-Jan-17 16:25:51

I left a 13 year career in October to spend more time with my children and whilst it was never my intention to stay unemployed, the hours I'm looking for now certainly don't come up very often.

One that did was just before Christmas working in the call centre at a major bank. I was offered the job just over a week ago and was sent a link to complete all the information they needed for the vetting checks. I thought nothing more of it until yesterday when they asked me to provide further information on some adverse credit that has shown up on my credit report.

I have a 2 defaults from the same company that are 5 years old. One was cleared just a few months after the default was applied and the other I'm still paying off. It's currently £686. I've provided all the information they need but am terrified that they are going to withdraw their offer because of it.

When I applied, it never even occurred to me that this could be an issue. The vetting forms only asked for information on CCJ's, IVA's and bankruptcy so I was surprised to be asked about the defaults.

I'm devastated as the hours are perfect and I worked so hard to get that job offer. I'm already thinking the worst.

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 28-Jan-17 16:33:31

I had an extremely short lived 3 week career in a banking call center many years ago. One of the rules in the contract was that you couldn't be in debt. No idea how flexible or not they were with it though. Hope it works out for you.

AgentProvocateur Sat 28-Jan-17 16:37:56

I don't think you can work in a bank with debt or a default. They would see it as a security risk (i.e., you might be tempted to steal it if you're short of money hmm)

thepetitpear Sat 28-Jan-17 16:44:56

Thanks both. I guess I'll draw a line under this one and keep looking.

languagelearner Sat 28-Jan-17 18:41:01

Why not call them and ask about it? And is there anything you could do to pay it off in full, now, soon?

thepetitpear Sat 28-Jan-17 19:34:13

Do you think I should call them on Monday? I could pay it now but it would be using a credit card as with me not working, we don't have any savings.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 28-Jan-17 19:39:33

I think that is outrageous. I was going to apply for a civillian post with the police and was really excited but Dp and myself got into debt, took bad advice and ended up with ccj's and on a debt management plan.

I fail to see how that makes meore likely to be dishonest angry

flowers a better job will come along. you don't want to be lining the fat cat's pockets anyway so its serendipitous almost

thepetitpear Sat 28-Jan-17 20:42:54

Thank you smile

I'll report back on Monday. I'm going to call them. I have a reason to about something else anyway and will ask about the consequences of my credit check outcome.

Astoria7974 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:38:11

If the default is settled then they could still give you the job. Depends on the bank. Tbh this is a pretty standard vetting process for any industry (not just banking). Nobody wants to hire someone who refuses to honour their debts

thepetitpear Mon 06-Feb-17 20:01:54

Good news. I got the call today to say that I'd passed all of the vetting checks and that a contract would be with me in a few days. I am so relieved.

I was completely convinced that they would be withdrawing my offer and I am extremely grateful to still get this opportunity.

Thanks for all of your comments in what has been an extremely stressful week.

chrisrobin Mon 06-Feb-17 20:05:32

Congratulations! Good luck for your new job

AgentProvocateur Mon 06-Feb-17 21:44:12

Many, many congratulations. I'm so glad I was wrong! grin

girlelephant Mon 06-Feb-17 22:07:53

Yay! Good luckcakeflowersstar

thepetitpear Tue 07-Feb-17 12:04:25

Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now