Talk

Advanced search

What to WEAR???

(11 Posts)
username1317 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:32:20

Just found out I have an interview next week with the National Trust. Office based, community involvement type stuff.

Most important question (obv) is: what the hell don't wear to the interview? It's not corporate, so too suited and booted would be weird I think. But no don't want to look a scruff. I tend to wear simple things with bold accents- black dress with smart bright bomber style suit jacket. Printed dress with plain cardigan etc. Should I just be myself and chance it?

I had a baby a year ago and none of my go to feel good clothes fit. I've no idea how to dress most of the time.

There's other things to honk about I guess, like what questions they might ask me...

(Lighthearted...sort of)

username1317 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:42:22

honk think!

SecretPeanut Thu 26-Jan-17 14:51:54

I was called to a job interview once, office based for a tier 1 construction firm so smart but suit not required for women.

The interview was called at really short notice and i was on annual leave. On my days off i'm in wellies and farm gear. Told the agency i couldn't possibly go to the interview because i wouldn't have a chance to go home and get changed, they spoke to the employer who said not a problem she can come as she is.

First interview i been to smelling of horse poo and looking like a posh worzel gummage! needless to say the employer was great and understanding and i got the job smile

Back to your question, can you wear something simple like black trousers and shirt?

Catinthecorner Thu 26-Jan-17 14:52:32

Dress like yourself- don't overthink it!

And good luck

username1317 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:57:04

I don't own a pair of black trousers confused

NewPantsforaNewYear Thu 26-Jan-17 14:57:42

I think either of the outfits you describe sound fine. I would just make sure that you are the most 'polished' version of yourself, so smart bag, neat hair and nails, etc.

username1317 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:58:26

Catinthecorner I think you might be right. Better to feel like myself. They can always tell me how to dress if I get it.

HotChoc10 Thu 26-Jan-17 17:50:49

Always better to risk being overdressed than underdressed - I'd go smart

Starman16 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:03:19

I work in the heritage sector and what you describe is exactly what I would expect from an interviewee for that type of role. We find it a bit weird if people come suited and booted to be honest...it's just not that type of office environment.

Only other tip would be to do some research into the specific place you are working - we often get applicants who are desperate to work in the sector but would be happy with anywhere...it always stands out if they show (or at least feign!!) a genuine interest in our particular institution.

username1317 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:21:08

Great advice starman. I am a massive fan of this institution so shouldn't be hard to be enthusiastic. If anything I don't want to appear to pleading.

Any other advice most welcome!!!

Starman16 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:35:21

Glad to be of service! Best of luck with your interview smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now