Talk

Advanced search

Right job wrong time

(8 Posts)
Imissmyboy Sat 21-Jan-17 07:43:08

Hi everyone, I'm new here and could do with someone to talk this over with.
I have worked in the same company for 15 years, great job and I like most of the people there. I have had some issues recently with the women I share an office with, no falling out etc, but she has twice left her screen open showing an email about me to a colleague. Nothing really nasty, more bitchy but it does upset me. Btw this is a genuine 'happened to see' I have not been going through her emails!
At the end of this year I will be in the position money wise, where I can afford to go part time. This option is not available where I work now...I have already asked! I have seen a job that I would like to do which is 2 or 3 days a week, slightly less money than I am on now. But the timing is totally wrong. My DH is due to go for a big heart operation in the next few weeks so I will need some days off to visit him etc in hospital and then run him to from appointments etc, this would be no problem where I work now because of the length of time I have been there, also a timing problem because to halve my salary now would mean we would struggle for 12 month money wise. The other problem is that the job is advertised through an agency, so I would have to go through the process of registering, interviewing with them and then probably be hassled with other 'perfect jobs' for me when I am not really looking! Would you go for the job or not?

JontyDoggle37 Sat 21-Jan-17 07:50:08

If you're going to struggle for money, no. You don't need that stress on top of your DH's operation. If money would be ok, go for it but be honest at interview that this is coming up and would be something you would need to take time out for.

QuiteLikely5 Sat 21-Jan-17 07:50:59

No I would wait until your dh is back on his feet health wise then start looking later in the year

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 21-Jan-17 08:49:49

I would go for it. It will take time. If you get the job you will need to give notice. They might hang on for the perfect candidate, they might offer you a three month full time contract to get to know the role, the .part time. .. amother perfect job might come up who is prepared to wait. ..

daisychain01 Sat 21-Jan-17 17:16:53

Personally I would not rock the stability of perm ft work, especially with 15 years' service history under your belt. Not when your DH has major surgery ahead.

Re having to take him to/from the hospital, given your long service I'd be inclined to talk with your immediate line manager about this situation and cover absences with a combination of annual leave and some extenuating/compassionate leave (esp. straight after his surgery). Keep your manager onside and you'll likely find that it brings out the best in them, you'll hopefully get great support around the office with people rallying round to cover for you. You can always reciprocate later on, and/ or take some treats in to say thanks for their support.

Re your "emailing colleague", take it off your radar, you have much too much on your plate to worry about petty office politics. She isn't covering herself with glory leaving her screen unlocked anyway, I bet that's against your company's IT Security Policy!

Imissmyboy Sun 22-Jan-17 07:15:06

That's great advice Daisy Chain. Thank you. I think I kind of knew I was wrong considering a new job just now which is why I needed other people's opinions. I believe in fate too, so if this is the right job for me, then they will be looking for someone else next year!

HotChoc10 Thu 26-Jan-17 17:56:17

I would wait until your husband has recovered - it won't be the last job that comes up

Imissmyboy Thu 02-Feb-17 16:00:02

Well, I did ring up about the job and apparently I am just what they are looking for - according to the agent. However, he couldn't confirm the actual hours, so I haven't officially applied. They are interviewing three people tomorrow. I have said to the agent to come back to me if they don't find anyone suitable at these interviews. I have told him the hours I need to work and the pay I will need. My husbands op is now booked in for the end of the month, and I have to give (at least) a month's notice where I work now so it is do-able. DH's appointments etc could be booked in on my days off once I am part time.
I was having sleepless nights thinking about it all. So at least that has stopped now I have actually done something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now