Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant in new job

(4 Posts)
agirlhasnousername Mon 16-Jan-17 13:20:17

Hi all thank you in advance for any advice.

I started a new part time job in September on a 3 month trial which ended mid December, I was then verbally offered the job on a permanent basis. I was told that I would need to sign a contract but my employer keeps avoiding it so I haven't yet done so.

I found out yesterday that I am pregnant so I was wondering can I be dismissed because I have no contract and also when should I inform them. Thank you

GruffaloPants Mon 16-Jan-17 13:40:36

You can't be dismissed due to not having a contract, or due to being pregnant.

Most people wait till after 12 weeks to tell their employer, unless adjustments need to be made before then e.g. as working with chemicals. Both times I waited till close to 20 weeks. I think you have to tell them by 25w to get all your maternity rights without difficulty, but I might be wrong.

Congratulations flowers

GruffaloPants Mon 16-Jan-17 13:42:24

Just to make things clearer, maybe try to get some sort of evidence that you are permanent e.g. Send an email with "now I'm permanent I was thinking...". Then you've got a paper trail if you suspect your employer is going to be unfair e.g. By claiming you are a temp.

agirlhasnousername Mon 16-Jan-17 13:50:31

Thank you so much that's great advice I will send an email today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now