Talk

Advanced search

Asking for pay rise during appraisal tomorrow - nervous! Any advice?

(7 Posts)
Rioja123 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:44:51

Hi everyone. I've been in my role two years and I have my annual review tomorrow. I'm still on the same salary as when I started but feel the role has evolved and I am doing significantly more. I want to ask for more money but have never asked for a rise before! I have some notes about what I've been doing that isn't reflected in my job description. Any other tips would be appreciated.

DragonMamma Sun 15-Jan-17 19:18:54

Do you have an idea of what you want to be paid?

You need to come up with a sound rationale as to why they should pay you more by using examples of similar kinds of roles you've found to yours (either internally or externally).

Rioja123 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:22:14

Hey dragon mamma they recently hired someone in the same sort of role on considerably more but I'm not sure whether to bring that up? I'd like a rise based on my own merits, and I found this salary info out after I had already decided to ask - learning the other person is on more just made me even more determined to ask!

Jayfee Sun 15-Jan-17 19:25:57

it hels f you can tell them how you have added value to their business

BonnesVacances Sun 15-Jan-17 19:28:23

It helps if you do the thinking and justification for them and present them with a solution. It sounds like the other job is a good benchmark too. Perhaps if they refuse you, ask for them to point out exactly why you don't meet the criteria for the pay rise you've asked for.

daisychain01 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:20:53

A few ideas to consider:

Have your extra duties been good value-adds to the business? Also did you do any tasks on your own initiative, if so a brief description of why you decided to do them could give insights into your can-do attitude and conscientious nature, your willingness to develop your skills.

You could itemise the activities and justify why the activities have been beneficial, and to whom (a customer, a colleague, management, member of the general public)

You could agree a compromise by suggesting the pay rise is implemented after X months of you continuing to "act up" in your role.

Good luck!

Rioja123 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:30:19

I've had to step up and will have to continue to do so due to other colleague being made redundant. I'm also being expected to take on financial responsibility which is not included in my job spec. I believe I am an asset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now