Talk

Advanced search

Dreading telling work I'm leaving on Monday

(7 Posts)
Cookiesandcream99 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:09:19

I do have a new job to go to. Which just kind of happened, was recommended to the hiring company sounded like a good opportunity they liked me I liked them and hey presto. It's no doubt a better job for various reasons.

I really enjoy my current job (been there less than 3 years). I've done well I get on with my team and they just gave me a rather substantial payrise. Which makes it all the more hard that Monday morning I'm telling them I'm leaving.

I'm in no way indispensable long term but they will be somewhat screwed and I feel like I'm personally saying fuck you I'm away to my manager. I've been so anxious and I'm dreading it. Do I need to just get the hell over myself?

Pringle2628 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:12:39

Just remember that it's what you want that matters so if your 100% you have made the right choice then don't worry. Also part of managing a business is dealing with staff leaving that's life so don't worry.

Cookiesandcream99 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:20:12

Thanks. I know that is what makes sense I feel like such a wuss. I'm probably just too loyal. I need to get it in my head straight that I don't need to justify my leaving.

daisychain01 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:58:03

Nice though your company is, they wouldn't lose a moment's sleep if they had to make you redundant. So, by the same token, try not to dwell on the fact you are leaving.

Nobody takes it personally nowadays and if they do, they'll get over it within a short space of time.

You can always keep in touch with any colleagues who are your friends.

buckingfrolicks Sat 14-Jan-17 22:02:55

I don't agree with Daisychain01 - making people redundant is a horrendous thing to have to do and business owners, managers, and boards, can find it extremely difficult and stressful.

But OP, if you were my employee then I'd be sad to lose a good colleague, irritated but not at you, about having to find a replacement, and just put their heads down and get on with trying to find someone to fill your role.

The best thing you can do imo is to be flexible about your leaving date - it may take them say a month to find the right person, and if you were able to offer a week or so extra, to do a good thorough in-person handover, that would usually be very very gratefully received. Getting the next person in your seat, up to speed quickly, is what they will be wanting most. Anything you can do to facilitate that will be a godsend.

And if they're a good employer they will be happy for you, personally, at your 'better' job move. good luck and don't feel guilty but do feel helpful!

Cookiesandcream99 Sat 14-Jan-17 23:29:34

Thanks for the sensible words. Feeling better about it now will definitely try and be flexible on the leaving date.

HotChoc10 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:04:17

I'm sure they'll be disappointed but it's part and parcel of being an employer - good luck in your new job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now