Talk

Advanced search

Are you entitled to time off for GP/dentist visits?

(31 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 14-Jan-17 08:52:26

Or can your employer say no?

A colleague is getting a hard time from the boss over a dental hospital appointment that's in the middle of the working day.

weebarra Sat 14-Jan-17 08:54:14

If it's routine dental or GP appointments then we're expected to have them outwith work hours. If it's a hospital appointment we can take special leave.

LIZS Sat 14-Jan-17 08:55:23

Is employee ft? Could they make it up before or after office hours or during a break? Book as al? There is no automatic right to paid time off except for maternity appointments but there may be a company policy, look under either absence or sickness.

Kennington Sat 14-Jan-17 08:56:41

It is recommended to book at the beginning or end of the day.
We do get some time off but if it is going to take half a day they we take leave.
I really dont understand why taking leave is a problem as it seems to be on here.
For a GP appointment I tend to book first thing then either work a bit later or book leave so I don't get into these discussions. It just causes issues around pay rises and promotions if you use the 'entitled' line.

Scrumptiousbears Sat 14-Jan-17 08:57:13

Most dentists can offer appointments after a working day and sometimes on Saturday. If this is really not an option then at the start or end of a shift to limit disruption as much as possibly. Make up the time if you need to take it.

ememem84 Sat 14-Jan-17 09:06:39

I'm meant to book appointments before or after work or at lunch if I can and make any missed time up.

Hospital appointments are different. We can just go. No need to make up the time.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 14-Jan-17 09:15:18

Is this a school? For us, medical/dental appointments that you make yourself should be after school or in the holidays. Hospital appointments that you are sent after referral for example, those are covered.

Euphemia Sat 14-Jan-17 09:38:22

It's a school, but not a teacher. She's PT. She had no choice in the appointment time as it's the hospital. She could choose the day, and she chose a day when more staff are in school. If she waited til the holidays that would be April.

Euphemia Sat 14-Jan-17 09:39:09

The boss is saying she's asking for a favour by asking for time off for this appointment. hmm

Ilikesweetpeas Sat 14-Jan-17 09:42:59

I work in a school. In this situation it's either goodwill for the head to let her go, or unpaid leave if they won't agree and it's important. Routine appointments need to be out of school time but many heads would understand that with hospital ones you don't get a choice. If she's PT could she work another day instead?

LIZS Sat 14-Jan-17 09:45:51

Well she is. Has she offered to make up the time? Could she call hospital and ask to rearrange for non working or early/later time. What about recovery , will she be able to return immediately or need to take time off sick?

Threelittlerobins Sat 14-Jan-17 09:48:20

When I was working we were always told to try to arrange appointments for first thing in the morning or as late in the day as possible. Or around lunchtime was ok, we would take an extended break then make up the time.

Lilaclily Sat 14-Jan-17 09:49:45

Given how hard it is to get doctor appointments in advance or emergency I'm surprised employers aren't more sympathetic

I work full time

My gp suggested counselling for an hour a week

No way would I be allowed to go, I can't make up the time before or after work because I work in a service industry so when the building closes I have to leave, no point staying late when there are no customers to serve!

Lilaclily Sat 14-Jan-17 09:50:48

I mean how do you make up the time if you're full time ?!

megletthesecond Sat 14-Jan-17 09:53:02

We can have an hour. Although I'm PT so it's only hospital appointments that ever chip into my work time, even then i make them at the start or end of the day. I can go to the gp and dentist on my days off.

Newtssuitcase Sat 14-Jan-17 09:53:34

I'm a lawyer. Legally there is no entitlement to time off for doctors or dentist appointments or even hospital appointments unless the employee has a disability in which case it might be part of a package of "reasonable adjustments".

The appointments should be taken in your own time.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 14-Jan-17 09:54:52

We are expected to try to schedule appointments at the start or end of the day, where possible, but if we can't then we have flexitime so we can go to the appointment in work time (if GP, dentist etc) then make the time up, or we get paid time off for hospital appointments. I had weekly counselling and my manager approved the time I needed and classed it as hospital so I didn't need to make the time up. It can often be at manager's discretion.

ememem84 Sat 14-Jan-17 10:30:42

lilac I work full time and if I go to an appointment which runs over or need to leave early to go to one I make up the time the next day by having less of a lunch break/staying a bit later/getting in early. As long as my work know what I'm doing the don't mind and are fairly flex. I'd only do this with health related appointments though. There are some in my place who use this to book beauticians hair cuts etc.

PurpleDaisies Sat 14-Jan-17 10:33:41

All the schools I've worked in have let people go to hospital appointments because you can't control when they're scheduled but it routine gp or dentist appointments.

The boss is being very harsh.

PurpleDaisies Sat 14-Jan-17 10:36:19

But ^not gp or dentist appointments

SociallyAcceptableCookie Sat 14-Jan-17 10:46:16

Maybe they're misunderstanding. An appointment at the dental hospital is as important and difficult to reschedule as an appointment at another hospital. It's not like an appointment with a general dentist.

Euphemia Sat 14-Jan-17 13:32:22

The appointments should be taken in your own time.

What if they can't be though? This particular clinic only runs on certain mornings.

HopperBusTicket Sat 14-Jan-17 13:39:20

I suppose if she can't arrange it for another time and she can't make up time then it needs to be annual leave or unpaid leave.

SociallyAcceptableCookie Sat 14-Jan-17 13:56:37

Euphemia I think your friend should push for the employer to treat this as they would any consultant appointment, but unfortunately in some jobs they insist you take that time unpaid. If they're a teacher I would assume there's a policy in place but I don't work in education and can't advise you specifically. I have lots of sympathy though.

Euphemia Sat 14-Jan-17 14:00:48

We don't have annual leave in schools so if the boss wanted to be a bitch I guess she'd go for unpaid leave. I think this boss is that bitch, which is a shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now