Talk

Advanced search

Take new job, or better the devil you know?

(15 Posts)
HenryIX Sun 08-Jan-17 19:14:11

I applied, and have been offered a job at one level higher than I am now. I accepted, and handed in my notice at my current job. They responded by offering me a role at the higher level. After some thought, I turned it down, mainly because of one colleague who I knew would take it badly and could really make my life miserable.
Now they have asked me to apply for an even more senior role, and spent a lot of time 'selling' it to me.
So I really don't know what to do, stick with the new role that I have accepted, or go for the more senior role, with the problem colleague still there? I really think she would do her best to undermine me, but I don't know what the people at the new company are like, they might be lovely, or awful.

I know you are all a bunch of strangers, but I need help, so do you have any opinions? DH says to do which would make me happiest, but I don't know what that is!

dollyollymolly Sun 08-Jan-17 19:23:25

Why exactly did you apply for the new job?

LordEmsworth Sun 08-Jan-17 19:23:31

My opinion - and it is only my opinion about what I would do - is, I wouldn't make a decision based on one colleague. But if I weren't happy at the company generally then I would go. And if they're only prepared to show me they value me because I've said I'm going - then I wouldn't be happy...
I might use it as a bargaining tool to try to get more money at the new company, though!

esiotrot2015 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:29:11

Gosh what a dilemma

Your current place clearly thinks a lot of you , tbh I'm not sure what I'd do , only you know what it is about current job you're not happy with , it has to be more than one colleague because in my experience wherever I've worked there's always one sadly

HenryIX Sun 08-Jan-17 21:02:26

I started looking around cos I didn't think there was any scope for promotion! I was wrong on that count.

dollyollymolly Mon 09-Jan-17 16:41:23

Oh!

Well, if that's the case and you are happy there and would be happy with what they are proposing then I'd be inclined to stick around.

Work cultures and expectations can vary wildly from one company to another. If you were miserable, hated your colleagues and bored with your job with no chance of progression then I'd move. However, sometimes it can be out of the frying pan into the fire.

SecondsLeft Mon 09-Jan-17 17:13:17

They have asked you to apply for the more senior role, but you have not definitely got it yet - could you end up losing the new job and not getting the more senior role anyway? It could backfire on you. I think I would be inclined to say thanks but I have now committed to the new employer and wish them well - but be clear that you might be interested in a future return.

knowler Mon 09-Jan-17 17:19:09

It sounds a bit up in the air, staying where you are - you might not get the promotion. And it also bugs me when employers have to have their arm forced by the threat of you leaving before a promotion miraculously becomes a possibility. DP was actually in this exact position and chose to stay with his current employer... but what they were offering was excellent and it was a guaranteed role, i.e. he didn't have to interview for it. But it has always rankled with me that he had to get another job offer before they considered it. Who knows if he would have been better off moving to the new company?

If you do decide to go (which I think from a personal point of view, I probably would), make significant efforts not to burn bridges and to leave on good terms. I never view any job as for life, and you never know when you might want or need to go back.

MissSueFlay Mon 09-Jan-17 17:27:01

There was only 'scope for promotion' when you handed in your notice. They haven't actually offered you a more senior role yet either, you could end up exactly where you started but with one less potential future employer.

cheminotte Mon 09-Jan-17 17:43:43

Statistically, most people who take a counter offer leave within a year anyway. I'd take the new job but leave on good terms.

HenryIX Mon 09-Jan-17 21:06:10

Thanks all. I decided to take the new job. It's been announced that I'm leaving now, so no changing my mind. I'm really excited, and I'm sure I've made the right decision.

knowler Tue 10-Jan-17 09:21:03

Congratulations, I hope it goes well.

MissSueFlay Tue 10-Jan-17 14:59:35

Congratulations, onwards and upwards - an exciting start to the year!

SecondsLeft Tue 10-Jan-17 22:02:18

Congrats Henry

HenryIX Wed 11-Jan-17 20:03:23

thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now