Talk

Advanced search

Career Break Quandry

(5 Posts)
JudyB149 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:44:38

Hi
I'm hoping some of you will be able to give me good advice. I am in the legal sector, 5+ years PQE and have had second baby. Had a horrific experience returning to work after first child and ended up leaving that job to take current role.

The cost of childcare is crippling me. Neither myself nor my partner are on huge salaries and I am literally working to pay the nursery with nothing left over.

I am wondering if anyone has had a successful experience of a career break in this sector and if a return is feasible or "pie in the sky"? I am exhausted trying to do it all but am fearful of not being suited to SAHM and of not getting back in to work.

Any advice would be welcome.
TIA

daisychain01 Wed 04-Jan-17 06:30:18

The key aspect about any career break, irrespective of the field/industry is preparing yourself mentally to get back into the pace of work again. And building your confidence back up.

Can you start to do anything towards that? Eg CV up to date and any mentoring / coaching to guide you on general career goals, etc

daisychain01 Wed 04-Jan-17 06:31:53

If it isn't too " outing" what was the problem with that previous role? What challenges did you have?

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 08-Jan-17 17:14:51

Also which area of law? As a litigator I found it nigh on impossible to go back on a part-time basis whereas other areas it is easier. Therefore consider whether a switch of what type of law would make it easier to go back too.

JudyB149 Thu 12-Jan-17 10:26:23

First time round I went back but was told I wasn't getting my PA/sec back, clients, files, office etc and was restricted to one area of law only whereas I'd covered all areas in general practice. In hindsight, I think it was designed to make me walk as I was replaced with a male...

I am still in general practice - family, matrimonial, probate and real estate. Sorry for delayed response. Thank you for your interest and help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now