Talk

Advanced search

Applying for job while pregnant

(7 Posts)
archersfan22 Tue 03-Jan-17 07:14:16

I am only around 6 weeks pregnant with number 2 and was planning to apply for a job which looks like it would be great for fitting round family life (home based, flexible etc). I was planning to leave my current part time job anyway (to be a SAHM if necessary) as it doesn't fit with childcare for one never mind two. There is no point staying in my current job for the maternity deal as it's unclear if I would even be eligible for statutory maternity pay (temporary contracts).
However, I wasn't sure what my rights are if I apply for a job and then tell them soon afterwards that I am pregnant? I know you have to be working for 26 weeks to qualify for maternity pay but I'm not so bothered about that, I'm just not sure whether I would be entitled to maternity leave? I would want/need to take at least 6 months. I know it's not ideal from the employers point of view but I think I am a good candidate for this job so in the long term it will work out well for them but I can see that it is very inconvenient in the short term.

Other things I'm considering:
-I had quite bad morning sickness last time and am a bit worried about feeling sick in an interview if I were to get one.
-I'm not sure if a new job is a hassle I need while pregnant alongside my current job and another temporary job I will take on in July.

Any thoughts very welcome.

archersfan22 Tue 03-Jan-17 07:15:54

PS another consideration is that I am only 6 weeks and if I lose the pregnancy I don't want to have missed the opportunity for no reason.

RacoonBandit Tue 03-Jan-17 07:22:07

Would you tell them you are pregnant?

The job I do is a 2 person job which I have done on my own for 3 months and then with a temp for 3 months. They have employed a permenant staff member now who 2 weeks in announced they are 3 months pregnant.
It maybe selfish of me but I cant help being pissed off that in a few months time it will be me on my own again and then a temp while the new staff member takes mat leave. She knew she was pregnant when she went for the interview but chose not to mention it which is totally her right.

insancerre Tue 03-Jan-17 07:25:54

Pretty sure you would be entitled to maternity leave but not sure you would get any maternity pay
I wouldn't tell them you are pregnant until you've been there a couple of weeks

archersfan22 Tue 03-Jan-17 07:33:12

Racoon - I totally understand why you are annoyed about that, and as I am a considerate sort of person this does worry me.
However as the application/interview would be before the 12 week scan (unless they are v v slow with their recruitment process) I wouldn't be planning to tell them as it doesn't seem right to when we wouldn't have told anyone else eg our parents.

(In case you are wondering why I was looking for jobs while TTC, our first took several years to conceive our first so I really wasn't expecting it to happen straight away).

RacoonBandit Tue 03-Jan-17 07:46:14

I completly understand your reasons OP and you are not wrong to not tell them as by rights you being pregnant has no bearing on your ability to do the job.

New staff member is lovely and tbf the selfish "oh ffs" feelings I had have gone and I am excited for her (its her first) but I know that for the rest of the team and the management who employed her it has gone down like a lead balloon.

purplefizz26 Tue 03-Jan-17 07:46:31

Women should not be discriminated against for being pregnant. Pregnancy doesn't affect your ability to do a job well (aside from physical/manual stuff obviously).

Chances are, they won't give you the job if you tell them in advance. But will have umpteen excuses for why you were 'unsuitable' so they can't be accused of discrimination.

I would go for the interview, not tell them, and if they offer you the job then take it! Don't tell them until you have got started and made a good impression, then tell them when you are ready.

If they make a fuss then just say you didn't feel the need to mention it as it won't affect your ability to do the job and after mat leave you will 100% be returning to work!

Having a baby isn't a crime, everyone has the right to try and start a family and if it clashes with work then it's just one of those things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now