Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Language barrier

(7 Posts)
PotatoHolic Wed 21-Dec-16 09:57:36

Hi I have inherited a new member of staff in a TUPE
English is a second language. They have a VERY heavy accent from their country of origin and I'm struggling to understand them. I discovered yesterday that they also don't read English very well and it's important to the role as their are a lot of forms and I will also be installing more tech soon.

They are not performing to the same standard of the rest of the the team so I want to initiate a performance improvement plan. I have no idea if I can mention the language issue though?
What would be reasonably expected from me to support them to do their job?
I'm a small business with a small profit margin

PotatoHolic Wed 21-Dec-16 17:25:09

Bump

Heratnumber7 Wed 21-Dec-16 17:31:40

If the job description says good verbal skills in English required, written and oral, then you're ok. (Most office e jobs do)
Is the lack of English a safety issue?
How did this person manage in Previous role?

PotatoHolic Wed 21-Dec-16 19:18:36

My job description does. It's the TUPE part that worries me.

They were unmanaged... it's an outsourced role. That's why I won the tender. I've a remit to improve the situation, I want to do my best by the existing team but it's already caused issues

PotatoHolic Wed 21-Dec-16 19:31:21

There was no info handed over from the previous company. The client sacked the company and tried to run it in house. That didn't work and then I won the contract. No TUPE process was followed at all but I'm trying to respect the conditions at my end

Heratnumber7 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:51:49

I would say a lack of language is a H&S issue at the very least. How much communicating needs to be done in the role? Can you suggest night classes and give the person say 6 months to show an improvement?

PotatoHolic Thu 22-Dec-16 21:37:43

Hi thank you for replies
Suggesting classes leaves the ball in their court so could work. There's little in terms of reasonable adjustments I can make. Understanding and being understood is vital I would say.

Sorry being vague. Don't want to out myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now