Talk

Advanced search

Annual leave issues

(6 Posts)
MaverickSnoopy Tue 20-Dec-16 08:08:58

DH has a new manager who seems to be very muddled in the way she manages a/l. It needs to be booked on a system and each year DH makes all of his requests in one go bar a few days. He and his colleague can't take the same a/l so are expected to agree between them which dates they both want. DHs colleague doesn't like to use the system or to commit to any a/l requests and therefore leaves it to the last minute (i.e. Days before) to book which makes it hard for DH to know what he can take. The policy is one months notice for holidays but the colleagues requests are always approved even though they don't follow this rule.

DH requested the days off between xmas and NY back in April when his colleague said they didn't want them and he could have them. However his request was declined as his (old) manager wasn't approving xmas requests due to leaving. So DH waited until the new manager started. New manager asks DH what they plan to do. DH colleague would not commit so we were waiting. Eventually his colleague said that they now wanted the time off and so because DH had the time last year, this was approved. Not too happy but fair enough.

Manager then says to DH that staffing requirements would be clear end of November and he could take two half days if staff requirement was low. Staff requirement was slightly above ideal but not confirmed. Manager said he couldn't have two half days but could leave early two days and instructed him to book it in the system. We then made our plans to see family etc. Staffing requirements are now very low and it is expected to be very quiet to the point that DH will be hanging around twiddling his thumbs. However manager has now declined the two early finishes and said he can't have anything at all. However manager is now on al herself and relayed this through deputy so no reason given. In order to use up holiday manager dictates a particular half day to take off instead, ironically one which will cause complications in his role when he really needs to be there. He relayed this to deputy who said managers word is final.

DH is feeling very aggrieved because of the way this has all been dealt with. We also have to cancel our plans. I don't understand what is gong through the managers head. This is just one example but there have been others with al. At one point DH was told that his al would be cancelled, the day before he was due to take it, so his colleague could have the day off instead, when they had only just requested it! In the end he did get it off but only because he stood firm.

DH has no problem with having holiday declined if there is a real reason but this feels more than disorganised and bordering on favouritism or something else entirely. DH is talking about raising a grievance but I'm not too sure and would be grateful for some outside views.

daisychain01 Tue 20-Dec-16 17:20:42

Before I reached the bottom of your post, I was going to suggest you think about putting in a grievance. The AL process they use is a ghastly example of management incompetence, as it is bound to be a source of staff demotivation and low productivity.

I would suggest your DH starts by covering the matter informally, explaining verbally to his line manager the impact of the annual leave requests not being honoured, ie that you had to cancel some pre looked plans. Give the example you gave in this thread.

If the situation does not improve, (ie management don't give a timely response with the steps they will undertake to rectify the problem), have a written account of the situation already drafted, with dates and times of the requests, (it's amazing how much easier it is to collect all the facts in a document ongoing, rather than remembering after the fact).

Your DH should then submit immediately through his company's grievance procedure, to ensure it is current and they don't try to minimise or "kick into the long grass"

daisychain01 Tue 20-Dec-16 17:21:20

Pre-booked

daisychain01 Tue 20-Dec-16 17:24:04

Also DH should keep his own written record of dates and verbal discussion with his LM, because the written grievance should refer to the verbal discussion.

Eg on xyz date, we met to discuss AL bookings. Since then nothing has happened, despite you committing in that meeting that a change would be effected immediately/next month/ whatever...

Lorelei76 Tue 20-Dec-16 17:28:12

Is that a whole company policy? It's crazy, what's wrong wth first come first served? He asked for the days ages ago, the other colleague didn't. What is the other colleague doing?

MaverickSnoopy Thu 29-Dec-16 13:27:34

It's not a whole company policy. It just applies to the two of them because they are the only people in this type of role. Lots of people in other companies can't have the same time off as other colleagues due to their roles, it's the same as that really.

Update. DH took most of his annual leave bar a couple of hours which he is still owed. The deputy said last week that he could leave early today and tomorrow in order to take it. Deputy is now on al and manager is reluctant to agree. DH phoned me at lunchtime saying he has done everything and that he is sat doing nothing. He has one job left to do which happens at a fixed time (just before his normal finishing time) and that anyone could do. Manager is sending others home left right and centre (unpaid as the have no al left).

I have told DH not to raise it again while he is working but to approach it at the end of the day and say that he wants to leave early tomorrow. This is the only remaining time in the al year and if she declines then he won't get to take the time at least until February as January is busy and his colleague is on al for most of the month (and he is covering their role -don't even get me started).

DH is now talking about finding a new job as he feels very badly treated. However the pros of his job far outweighs this saga. He knows this and will calm down but he knows and I know that he needs to do something. We feel a grievance is the right way to go but will leave him with a toxic relationship with his manager in a close working environment....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now