Talk

Advanced search

Maternity leave 6 month fixed term contract

(10 Posts)
hippo99 Mon 19-Dec-16 15:54:43

I started a 6 month fixed term contract begnning November, woman who left had baby end of November. Contract is due to expire end April. When does woman have to give notice that either she want to come back to work, take additional maternity leave or not come back at all.

If she does take additional maternity leave, I'm guessing they would extend my contract (having said that I been told about closing my PC don 5 mins early at the end of the day!)

I'm trying to weigh up a)whether and when I should start looking for another job bearing in mind I could be jobless in April b) do I want a contract extension or do I want a secure job?

I took this job as I've been working in schools for last 6/7 years as TA then office so needed something more transferable on my CV.

JaniceBattersby Mon 19-Dec-16 16:32:59

The assumption in law is that she would take a whole year's leave. She only has to give notice if she is returning early. The. It would be 28 days' notice (at least, it was in 2014 when I last took mat leave)

In practise, most people do keep in touch with their boss to let them know if they were going to return at six months and then their plans change

hippo99 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:36:04

Okay thanks janice... assume they didn't give a longer contract to start with so they had a get out option if I was rubbish

JaniceBattersby Mon 19-Dec-16 16:37:49

I'm sure you're not rubbish. Most of the people I know have taken more than six months off, even if they'd originally intended to go back then. Hope things work out for you smile

hippo99 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:00:11

Thanks janice the gossip is she will take a year off but this is number 3, so who knows!! - not sure whether I want to stay, haven't been made to feel welcome but obviously I need a job and I'm mindful of my CV, feel like I need to pad it out a bit more.

Evergreen17 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:23:54

Unfortunately she doesnt have to say if she is coming back to work at 6 months yet.

I am starting maternity leave and I was told I dont have to tell them yet.
I have told them it will be a year because I know and because I was in your situation before, but they said not to put in on paper yet...

hippo99 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:37:39

Thanks Ever, when do have to officially let work know? I'm trying to work out whether when I know when she is coming back, will I even know in April? Should I start looking in Feb ish?

Evergreen17 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:26:32

Sorry just read this. Ok so the first 6 months I assume she is taking for sure and back in April. Well this depends I think ... I have to give 8 weeks but this only applies to the second part of the year. So basically I could just tell them in April I think.
Can you read the maternity policy there? They cant ask her or give info about her but you can read that to het answers
I would start looking in Feb and hopefully she will say something at least in March???
Food luck

Evergreen17 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:26:40

Good

LIZS Wed 21-Dec-16 21:34:01

She only has to give notice for her return date, otherwise the assumption is a year. She would have some leave accrued too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now