Talk

Advanced search

It's approaching end of year ... it's Development Plan/Goals time

(6 Posts)
mustardcream Fri 18-Nov-16 13:47:53

So, it's that time of year where I work. We have to update our development plan, and write our goals for next year.
Trouble is, I've reached a stage in life where I don't want to 'develop' in the workplace at more. I just want to get a few more years in my pension and reach a certain time point to coincide with DH's exit plan from his workplace. I definitely can't tell my boss/workplace this as it may well mean I'm in the firing line for redundancy (which I don't want just yet).
I'm an Executive Assistant (PA/secretary). I enjoy the job and am happy to continue as I am but don't want to 'climb the ladder'.
Please can anyone assist me with what I should write/how I word this?

idontlikealdi Fri 18-Nov-16 13:49:18

Don't! Just play the game and agree with the objectives they set.

mustardcream Fri 18-Nov-16 14:05:32

But they don't set us any ... we have to set our own

RatherBeIndoors Fri 18-Nov-16 14:08:28

In that case, I'd go with "deepening and strengthening" your existing skills, rather than identifying new ones you want to learn grin

flopsypopsymopsy Fri 18-Nov-16 18:26:18

IME they don't actually want PAs to develop. If you're doing a good job and have a good relationship with your boss they want you to stay put!

Could you pick up some side projects or brush up on some software skills?

daisychain01 Sat 19-Nov-16 11:51:22

If they are willing to fund a 1-2 day course on, say, organisational effectiveness or negotiation skills if you deal with suppliers why wouldn't you want to take two days out of the office, meet a few nice people, free lunch and tick their box.

Putting it on your Dev Plan will show you are still engaged and committed. No skin off your nose is it? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now