How long should an unpaid trial shift in a pub/ restaurant be?

(16 Posts)
Kel1234 Wed 16-Nov-16 12:57:46

My husband had a trial shift today in a pub/ restaurant, he's a chef (with years of experience in similar establishments). The shift is unpaid (unless he gets the job). He started at 8, and it's now 1 and he's still there. I didn't think a trial shift that is unpaid could be so long? Or am I wrong? (Even he said he thought it would only be a few hours, fair enough he should really have asked first, but no point saying that now).

Stillunexpected Wed 16-Nov-16 14:07:55

To me, a trial shift means exactly that - the length of a normal shift. If he left before 1, they wouldn't even have hit the lunchtime rush or had much of an idea how he performed under pressure or with a variety of orders?

roundandroundthehouses Wed 16-Nov-16 14:15:32

I'm not sure, but would have expected that if they're trying him out as a chef they'd want to see him working at lunchtime.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 16-Nov-16 14:16:26

Yeah it'll be the length of a normal shift.

Bluntness100 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:17:21

My understanding is it's the length of a normal shift.

Bluntness100 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:20:13

Also why do uou have issues with it? I assume he wants the job, he should do the shift and show them what he's made of, why the concern?

Kel1234 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:49:50

He was on the morning/ breakfast shift today. He finished at half 1 anyway. But he got the job. So good news

YonicProbe Wed 16-Nov-16 18:52:59

Congrats!

Bluntness100 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:53:28

Yay, congrats to him!

Kel1234 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:53:46

Bluntness100- appropriate name you have there. I found your comment quite rude. I did not have any issues with it at all, I just wondered because I'd heard that a trial shift lasting longer than a few hours should be paid, and I'd never known anyone have such a long trial shift.
There was really no need to suggest I had any 'issues' at all.

dataandspot Wed 16-Nov-16 18:56:24

Trial or not people shouldn't be working without pay!

Kbear Wed 16-Nov-16 18:56:29

My DD works in a restaurant and her trial shift was the length of a proper shift - ie 6 hours. Unpaid. But she got the job. No point in an hour's shift, you can't know if you like the job and they can't judge whether to offer you the job.

Glad he got the job!!

insancerre Thu 17-Nov-16 07:06:15

Bluntness wasn't rude!

laureywilliams Sat 10-Dec-16 20:07:57

Funny isn't it? You don't ever hear of lawyers with many years experience doing unpaid shifts. But its ok for chefs. <prepares to be corrected>

daisychain01 Sun 11-Dec-16 08:46:50

Laurey, same thought occurred to me re expecting someone in a catering role being expected to work for nothing. It should be on the basis of 'if you pass the test ie get the job, we'll give you the wages for the shift you worked'.

exploitation, if you ask me

Glad he got the job OP good for him!

daisychain01 Sun 11-Dec-16 08:48:53

I did get an hour's free consultation from a lawyer once, but I expect he was paid his normal salary so didn't lose out personally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now