Anyone escaped Nursing? What did you do next?

(17 Posts)
Babyroobs Mon 14-Nov-16 23:12:03

Just that really. I have been a nurse for 30years and never really done anything else except a bit of nannying as a teenager. I am desperate to leave/ change career. My job is making me ill and I'm suffering from anxiety and depression. I don't want one more Christmas ruined by worrying about work, I don't want to have any more flashbacks of horrible situations that have happenned. I'm physically exhasted from working more than my fair share of nightshifts and quick turnarounds back onto days. I am pushing 50 and just can't do it anymore. We need my wage coming in as we have 3 teenagers that are costly and I am considering joining a couple of Nursing banks just to get by ( and so I can avoid night shifts).
Has anyone left nursing and managed to forge a new career which pays a similar wage? if so what did you do? I doubt I could get another student loan to retrain as I have already got one degree which I did full time many years ago. Any suggestions appreciated. I have considered other types of Nursing but I think realistically I just want to get out of nursing altogether before it's too late.

felinewonderful Tue 15-Nov-16 11:03:47

Hello, sorry I can't help but I just wanted to say that I feel exactly themail same as you. Nursing has caused me a lot of anxiety and stress. I am on maternity leave at the mo moment and really don't want to return to nursing in any capacity. I can't see any other option but to retrain or take a lower paid job.

felinewonderful Tue 15-Nov-16 11:04:17

Sorry for the typos!

GRW Tue 15-Nov-16 21:11:15

I am a nurse too and I'm not sure what else would pay as well without retraining. Would you be interested in nurse education, or perhaps work for a Community Care agency assessing and training carers? I have seen adverts for PIP assessors too but don't know much about that. School nursing jobs are good for having the holidays off if you have school age children, and no night shifts.

Polarbearflavour Wed 23-Nov-16 18:37:14

I moved into NHS medical secretary work and from there I went on to the City and working as a PA.

giggly Wed 23-Nov-16 18:44:29

Must be the day for trying to get out.
I work.in community so at least no shifts but will be unable to work under the constant pressure until I'm 67. That's another 17 yearssad
I am in the process of setting up my own company and consulting for an Employee Assistance Programme.
I also looked at PIP screening g nurses.
What about a research post or PEF. There was jobs recently for care home inspectors which looked interesting.
I think going into.other sectors could be jumping from the frying pan into.the fire tnh

pickletray Sun 27-Nov-16 20:17:00

Was just googling on this topic and this post came up. I'm feeling very down about my job at the moment. I feel like my performance at work has deteriorated and I'm questioning my ability to do the job at all. I came into nursing as a career change aged 30. I'm pushing 40 now with two young kids so I don't feel I can retrain as anything else. Feeling trapped as I don't have any confidence at the moment so don't know how I could apply for anything.

Babyroobs Sun 27-Nov-16 21:22:13

Thanks for everyone's replies and I'm sorry that so many of us feel this way! Pickle, I'm sorry to read you feel the way you do, you are not alone. Things at my workplace have got worse and I have really lost my confidence. I didn't handle a situation very well due to my anxiety and now a colleague is talking about me behind my back and saying things that make me look really unprofessional. As I am normally so conscientious this has really devastated me .To be honest I feel like just getting signed off sick and never going back but I'm worried that will affect me finding new employment. I'm lucky in that I do have a lot of supportive colleagues but at the moment all I can think about is walking away despite 10 years of problem free employment.

Rhythmsticks Sun 27-Nov-16 21:30:52

CQC inspector? Pay is similar to a band 6 at the lower level and you can progress. I know someone who did this and she loves it though it does involve some travel.

Babyroobs Sun 27-Nov-16 21:40:48

Thanks Rhythm, I will take a look at CQC inspecting.

Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 28-Nov-16 07:37:32

Colonics! My friend retrained as a colonic hydro therapist and now she's really busy. There's quite a shortage so she's quite in demand and earning £50+ an hour.
Course was 2 weeks and cost £2000.

Babyroobs Mon 28-Nov-16 13:13:10

Sounds interesting Cuppa, I will consider anything !! Thanks for the suggestion.

user1479296630 Wed 30-Nov-16 17:45:24

Teaching in further education on health and social care courses?

ittooshallpass Wed 30-Nov-16 21:12:51

Bank nurse in private care home sector. Well paid and on your terms.

OhTheRoses Wed 30-Nov-16 21:17:36

What about health visiting. Paperwork, driving, no sick people, just mummies and babies x

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Dec-16 12:51:16

You could train to administer Botox. You'd need to keep up your nursing registration to do so.

I'm a podiatrist retraining to be a nail tech.

itfcbabe Tue 13-Dec-16 14:06:13

What about a clinician for NHS 111? They always need nurses to work there on the phones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now