Talk

Advanced search

How/when to ask about part time options

(10 Posts)
beginnersewer Wed 09-Nov-16 12:42:06

I've seen a job advertised that I really like the look of but it's full time which isn't right for me and my family. I'm wondering whether to
a)email the 'enquiries' address on the advert to ask whether they'd consider part time before applying
b) apply without mentioning it and if I were to get an interview, discuss it at interview
c) not mention it at all unless I happen to be offered the job, and then try to negotiate.
I don't want to irritate this employer as it's quite local to me and it might be that I apply for something else in future. I'm a bit concerned that b) and c) might be wasting their time if they wouldn't consider any flexible working (also mine, plus I'd have to specially arrange a relative to come from a distance and babysit for an interview if I got one, so don't want to do this if it's pointless).

What do you think?

RosieWithTheGoodCreditHistory Wed 09-Nov-16 12:44:01

I highly doubt you'll get anywhere, if I'm honest. If it was possible they'd have advertised it, surely?

mrschatty Wed 09-Nov-16 12:45:17

IMHO it's advertised as a full time role because they need someone ft
At my place of work we offer fantastic benefits and it's a great place to work- we get many people start then request pt. It's never been granted for a new starter people are there at least 6months before its considered.
If your set on it then I would say email enquiries so I vote A

UrethaFranklin Wed 09-Nov-16 16:58:35

I would also go with A for the same reasons as the previous posters. If they could accommodate part time then I think that it would be mentioned in the advert.

SheldonCRules Wed 09-Nov-16 17:08:44

B and C just waste the employers time, if the job could be done part time presumably they would have advertised it as that as cheaper.

You could ask in advance if they would consider a job share.

Turning up to interview wastes their time and should something come up in future they may remember the inconvenience you caused them and not shortlist you.

Unthoughtknown Wed 09-Nov-16 17:14:49

Can you get a number and give them a call to ask?

beginnersewer Thu 10-Nov-16 08:05:34

Thanks for your responses, I think A is the way to go so that I keep my options open for any future opportunities.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Thu 10-Nov-16 08:15:54

I did C and it worked out. I asked for a job share when they offered the job. They had already mentioned that "lots of highly qualified people" had applied so I suggested they ask one of them if they'd be willing to work part time! I also had some suggestions ready about how the responsibilities could be divided between 2 people.
I don't think it would have worked to ask earlier. They needed to see what I had to offer first.

beginnersewer Thu 10-Nov-16 09:58:12

Hmm, thank you, I did wonder whether I would have a stronger case if they'd already decided they liked me etc. I think I will do A this time and maybe consider a different approach another time!

Babyroobs Sun 13-Nov-16 22:37:30

I have just had the same dilemma and decided to email them before applying as if they can't offer part time I would just be wasting my time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now