Need advice about work situation

(4 Posts)
workwoed Tue 08-Nov-16 13:01:01

NC as potentially identifiable

Basically my manager's manager left her job. My manager stepped up to take on the role. That has left all my managers work with no one to do it. My manager has said that he wants to employ someone to do his old job, but that my work would get incorporated into it so that there wouldn't really be a role for me.

The problem is, he has no intention of making my role redundant, he just wants to keep me as a general office dogsbody to pick up any work that he and the new manager can't fit into their time.

I would move to a different job tomorrow but I've job hopped for a few years which i think would put employers off and i would have to go down a grade as I've only been in this job a few months so I don't have enough experience to move across.

Apart from being worried for my job, i also feel shit that my manager doesn't think I'm competent enough to pick up any additional managerial responsibilities.

Not really a question in there but would welcome any thoughts or suggestions!

flopsypopsymopsy Tue 08-Nov-16 17:57:14

So the new manager would be expected to do two jobs - that role and your role? I think it sounds a bit ambitious. How busy are both those roles?

I'm not HR but I don't think it's as simple as saying. "I just want you to make the tea and take the staples out of my paperwork." They need to go through a consultation, assess the workload and speak to you about it.

How do you get with this 'manager'? Are you under the impression he is trying to push you out?

workwoed Tue 08-Nov-16 18:41:33

Thanks for replying. My job is project based so will naturally diminish once it's business as usual. So one person probably could do both roles.

I think he wants to keep me but I'm nowhere near experienced enough for the management role and so there's not much he can do with me!

I'm just not sure when he brings it up again whether to accept continuing but in that dogsbody role or whether to push for redundancy or whether to just get a new job elsewhere.

daisychain01 Thu 10-Nov-16 18:09:07

Are you a member of a union? Is there an HR department

He sounds very unprofessional but I think the reality is that he's full of hot air and can't just dissolve your role from beneath you without going thru due process in the company.

Have you been employed there for more than 2 years. Hopefully yes - because you have him banged to rights, he'll have to tread carefully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now