Talk

Advanced search

Maternity contract

(7 Posts)
thisusernameisnotavailable Mon 07-Nov-16 20:01:00

Would you take a job where the person might come back?

I'm being told there's a better than even chance they won't but they can't of course guarantee it

I do a niche job. Few and far between. Been looking for something closer to home for a year now.

Fence sitting. Help confused

healthyheart Mon 07-Nov-16 20:47:56

We need more info! Are you currently in a permanent, good job? Further away from home? Even if they came back ( part time?) could they possibly keep you too?

thisusernameisnotavailable Mon 07-Nov-16 21:56:04

In permanent job of identical work elsewhere miles from home. Less pay less days holiday no perks and are treated with disdain. I don't fit in due to experience level compared to fellow employees and weak management in the past. Better now but immediate colleagues are very close and I'm on the outside. I hate my current job and wages barely cover bills with nothing left for anything even remotely social, even things like going swimming.

LittleBearPad Mon 07-Nov-16 21:58:49

I'd do it. Your current role sounds miserable.

You don't know that the person will come back or not but worst case you'll have a new challenge, new contacts, new experience etc which are all good for your CV plus whilst you are there you'll get paid more and you don't know where it will lead.

Poocatcherchampion Mon 07-Nov-16 22:01:22

Id do it.

In fact I sort of am. For less pay but good experience and hopefully better quality of life - walkable from home so I'll see the children more.

For me the decision is stable and boring v risky and interesting. I am going for risky! Life is for living! If it doesn't work out I'll find another job and if the mat leave person comes back I'll find another job.

LamppostInWinter Mon 07-Nov-16 22:03:22

I've done it. Doing it, in fact. I don't know if I'll be able to stay on yet but even if I can't, it's the best move I've ever made in terms of experience and general job satisfaction.

Scribblegirl Mon 07-Nov-16 22:05:21

If you have a month or two without pay can you afford it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now