Talk

Advanced search

Mat leave and holiday

(6 Posts)
NutellaCookie Sat 05-Nov-16 00:45:31

I am due to go on mat leave at the end of this month. Work have written to me confirming all of the holiday / bank holiday days I will accrue next year whilst on ML. Fine.

However, a friend pointed out I should also accrue the bank holidays that fall this Christmas (including New years day) plus the days the office is closed for over Christmas (we do not have to take annual leave to cover this. The business closes from around the 22nd December to 3rd January and we are paid for this period).

I mentioned this to the office manager (the closest thing we have to HR) and he said no, I won't be entitled to accrue that time (even the bank holidays) as the office is closed. Is he right?? Surely if this was the case, I wouldn't be able to accrue any bank holidays as the office is 'closed' over Easter etc?

I guess as I will be on mat leave I am still technically being paid for the days the office is closed over Christmas?

Can anyone clarify who is right?

Hellmouth Sat 05-Nov-16 00:49:22

As I understand it, you can only accrue annual leave entitlement. That would not include bank holidays or time off when the office is closed.

Scrumptiousbears Sat 05-Nov-16 00:59:49

I got 8 bank holidays when I was on maternity leave. Office was closed for every one of the.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 05-Nov-16 01:05:15

If you would have got it but for your maternity leave you should get it.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 05-Nov-16 01:07:25

Holidays and maternity legislation came into force 5th October 2008 so it's not new.

Try Maternity Action. They do good factsheets in this stuff for free online.

NutellaCookie Sat 05-Nov-16 09:18:17

Thanks all, I will look into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now