Talk

Advanced search

How to ask for a pay rise

(4 Posts)
Thirtyrock39 Fri 04-Nov-16 15:53:51

I get annual performance related increases but in my current job I have loads more responsibility than anticipated and much more than in the job description frequently acting up to all intents and purposes (though not paid any more for this) . I have an appraisal coming up but only with my immediate supervisor who wouldn't be able to authorise a pay increase .
Should I put it in writing to my big boss or ask to meet with her?
It's public sector and I'm happy in my job but I do a lot more than I did At this level in a previous role (same employer, same level but very different role) and have met colleagues doing my job in other sites who are a band above me . Any advice needed I am not very good at asking for things !!

firstimer30s Sat 05-Nov-16 18:10:50

Hi Thirty, I would take as much written evidence as you can to the meeting . Remember to keep it business like and not emotional. The way you describe in your post is very practical and business -like, which is good . If you can literally come up with a list of all the things you do which demonstrate more responsibility taken (e.g. Managing project X, running meetings for Y)
If you can make this quantifiable (e.g. £saved or people saved all the better )

If your line manager takes it up to the big boss , they will need a business case, hence you need to make it super easy for them by providing all the facts

daisychain01 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:35:14

Just a cautionary note. You may feel you are acting up and doing more than you were in previous jobs etc, but be prepared for your manager not being prepared to rock boats to ask their manager for more money.

It's a tough environment and likely to get tougher. I'm private sector and believe me every last person is doing double what their job description includes, just to keep their job.

Decide if you want to risk showing yourself as being discontent. Is what you're doing so value-add that you think they'll approve an increase. If you do I irecommend you writing a list of those things and what the impact is, in real terms. Make a business case. Also how much increase you want.

daisychain01 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:37:22

X posted firstimer !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now