Negotiating annual leave in new job

(7 Posts)
Sohardtochooseausername Thu 03-Nov-16 17:08:00

Hello, does anyone have any experience in negotiating annual leave for a new job?

I am moving from a job where I had 20 days plus bank holidays plus any days the office was closed over Christmas to a job with 23 days plus bank holidays...

...But they only just told me that I will need to use annual leave to cover christmas closure. Since I am starting at the beginning of December I will only have 2 days annual leave and will be effectively unpaid over christmas.

I have pointed this out to them and they said I could borrow annual leave days from next year to cover this - but is that all I can do? I know it is legally fine but I have pulled strings to start work there before Christmas and not do my full 3 months notice. I was hoping for a better start without a nasty surprise like this!

This year I had to use a lot of annual leave for moving house and as a result I only spent one week off with my daughter in the summer and have not had a day off since July, having to ferry her around relatives and holiday clubs for the other 6 weeks. I really don't want to be in the same position next year!

I'm just wondering what to say to them. I don't want to sound like I don't want the job, just want to know if there is any way to get paid for the 4 days over Christmas (basically that's everyone's Christmas presents covered.)

cavalo Thu 03-Nov-16 17:13:57

If you haven't formally accepted the offer, then everything's up for grabs. You could ask for additional annual leave or a flexible arrangement (working additional hours to cover those days) or even extra money to cover the unpaid days.

flowery Fri 04-Nov-16 18:34:15

"I don't want to sound like I don't want the job, just want to know if there is any way to get paid for the 4 days over Christmas"

There is- you can borrow annual leave from next year. Or cavalo has given you some other options.

Very unlikely you'd be able to negotiate a higher annual leave allowance than other staff working there who are all probably on the same amount.

thatstoast Fri 04-Nov-16 18:41:37

On a like for like basis you're losing out on 1 days leave, is that right? Obviously it's unfortunate timing that you start in December but they're allowing you to take leave from next year to ensure it's not unpaid.

ChuckGravestones Fri 04-Nov-16 18:46:18

Are you not getting a pay rise with this job?

I'd take 2 days from next year's leave if it were me, are you sure the leave year runs Jan-Dec?

Sohardtochooseausername Fri 04-Nov-16 20:58:14

You guys are great! Thanks for your help. I'm going to do a mixture of working from home and taking a day from next year.

I wish I was getting a pay rise but I'm taking a sort of sideways step into a slightly different industry. I also seem to have hit a ceiling that unless I go to a corporate or join the board of an independent I can't seem to get paid more than I do.

MaverickSnoopy Fri 04-Nov-16 21:53:59

It sounds like you may have/will have already used up your annual leave with your current employer, but don't forget that you will be paid for any remaining accrued annual leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now