Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been signed off work sick?

(8 Posts)
abeandhalo Wed 26-Oct-16 20:00:09

My boss has made my life so difficult since I've been pregnant that she has pushed me in to a corner where I don't think I have any choice but to go to the doc's tomorrow for stress.

I love my job & the other people I work with, & feel so incredibly guilty about it but her constant barrage of criticism & abuse over the last few weeks has made it unbearable & I can't go on like it for the next 5 months before the baby is born I'll go loopy. I'm a mess every day when I come home.

Even though I know I need to put my health & the baby's first, I am v nervous about going to the doc's. If you've been signed off for stress, how was it going to the GP? Did you get grilled?

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 26-Oct-16 22:07:38

I have. I wouldn't go along with some unethical practices in my newish workplace (a school). The HT told me I should 'have a rest' while Estyn were in (Wales equiv of Ofsted, with advance notice). My mum was terminally ill and I knew I couldn't go back. No resistance from my GP who was totally understanding, as were occupational health.

wonderstuff Wed 26-Oct-16 22:15:07

I was signed off my job as a teacher for about 4 months last academic year, my GP was really understanding, it got to the point where I was so stressed I couldn't stop crying. I did feel a bit guilty, but my boss basically made my position there unbearable.
I've a new job now and so much happier.
Work did get an occupational therapist to call and discuss why I was off, she was really sympathetic and supportive too.

wonderstuff Wed 26-Oct-16 22:16:05

Given that you enjoy your work could you not make a complaint against your boss?

abeandhalo Thu 27-Oct-16 02:55:50

Thanks all, as it's not even 3am & I'm up you can probably tell I'm quite worried about it all.

Unfortunately she is about as high as it gets in the company, only the MD is above her. I have told my direct manager & she is going to call me in the morning she seems understanding & maybe she will be able to talk to the MD but the person bullying me is v powerful in the company so not sure what difference it will make. sad

wonderstuff Thu 27-Oct-16 08:50:13

Good luck, it's a horrible thing to go through, look after yourself. I'm now in a new job, and my new manager thinks I'm doing a great job, I'm enjoying work for the first time in years, but last year was really really awful, my self esteem took a huge knock.

peri89 Thu 27-Oct-16 23:01:04

Your doctor should be supportive, I hope you get the help you need in that regard. The problem at work won't just disappear however, unfortunately. What kind of HR department does your organisation have?

abeandhalo Fri 28-Oct-16 10:13:16

Unfortunately it's a director who is causing this stress & our HR dept is v much run for the benefit of the directors so it wouldn't really help.

I've taken a few days off & my line manager has been v supportive & we've agreed I'll come back next week after a break & hopefully we can do something about the situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now