Talk

Advanced search

Change of contract

(7 Posts)
mrsmitch01 Wed 26-Oct-16 08:04:29

My husband started his job last June and the contract was for a week of 6am-2pm and then a week of 2pm-10pm. I then got a job last September which has me working different hours on a 2 week rota so I usually start at 12pm and sometimes I finish at 8pm. So my husband had a meeting with his managers and asked them if he could do permanent early shifts, they said yes. This was so I could drop my daughter to school and he would pick her up as he would finish at 2pm every day. Perfect.
Now they want him to revert back to his original rota where he does the different shifts every other week meaning that when I'm on a late shift till 8pm, my daughter will have to walk herself home from school and be at home alone till 9pm at least.
His managers haven't considered what impact this will have on our situation and they haven't asked him either. They have just said that they have given enough notice so there are 'no excuses'!!!
Is this right?? Can they do this??

LIZS Wed 26-Oct-16 08:09:00

How old is your dd? I fear they can do this with notice but he could talk to ACAS as to how to approach the employer. Your childcare situation isn't a business consideration for flexible working. Could you arrange for another family to collect her on the occasional day , or employ a cm.

mrsmitch01 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:26:42

My daughter is 10. He has contacted Acas to see what they say. Unfortunately we don't have any family to help out as his family live 200 miles away and my parents are elderly. As for a childminder I can't find one in my area that has the kids till 9pm. So stuck in a bit of a hard place

LIZS Wed 26-Oct-16 09:35:29

I meant another family at the school , maybe you could do a reciprocal arrangement for the odd day. Could you do opposite shifts each week?

mrsmitch01 Wed 26-Oct-16 13:14:30

That's a thought I just don't know if it's fair to ask someone who has children to look after my daughter till that time at night. As for alternating my shifts it's not an option as I've already approached my manager

SarahOoo Thu 27-Oct-16 14:42:32

At the end of the day employers make decisions for business purposes and not for the individual situations of their staff. What was put in writing for your husband when he reverted to early shifts? Did they say it was on a temperature or trial basis? How much notice have they given him of the change back? Did the original request go through as a flexible working request?

atticusclaw2 Thu 27-Oct-16 14:47:53

They have to follow the correct process but they can make this change on notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now