NHS pay when on two jobs

(10 Posts)
BubbleGums Wed 26-Oct-16 02:48:02

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone up... my first post on MN, though I have been lurking in shadows for a while grin hopefully someone can shed light on my situation regarding NHS pay.

I have been working in NHS for nearly a year now on Band 5 (permanent, full time). Few months ago I applied internally (same trust) for a Band 7 secondment (of 15 hours a week) and got it. My agreement currently is : 22.5 hours a week as Band 5, and 15 hours a week as Band 7. I started this arrangement end of September, so understandably did not expect my pay to be updated until this pay day in October (September was as per usual for my full time Band 5 hours).

I realise that when working two jobs in NHS you receive two separate payslips. I checked my account and I'm very worried as I have received just under £1k (presumably money for only one post). Am I naive to think the other one will still come through, can they come a bit later? Or is my pay messed up? As a person who rents and has next to no savings you can understand I'm very worried about my bills this month - essentially I can only afford rent and EITHER travelcard or council tax. Maybe I can walk to work confused .

My question really was, is there a chance other payment might still come through? If not, is there any way I could ask HR to process my payment immediately since I can't afford to live?

I know I can call them tomorrow to find out but very anxious and can't sleep.

Appreciate any advice / input.

BubbleGums Wed 26-Oct-16 07:21:20

Anyone? blush

Ginmakesitallok Wed 26-Oct-16 07:23:08

What do your payslips say? Check with pay office this morning - ours are pretty good.

rewardformissingmojo Wed 26-Oct-16 07:23:39

Call payroll, they can put emergency payments through as a salary advance. Good luck!

Poppiesway Wed 26-Oct-16 07:36:32

I'm down £200 this month from my NHS job. Payroll refused to give me the money during the month, I even got the union and a solicitor involved as £200 is a lot of money to me and means I have had to borrow money to get through the month.
They still refused to give me back the money they had miscalculated and removed until this weeks payday.
You can try asking your payroll but be prepared for a fight and even with the backing of my union and solicitor they still refused to write me a cheque to make my money up.

VulvaInLaw Wed 26-Oct-16 07:42:02

Check your tax code is correct, you may need to call HMRC to sort this, ie split the normal tax code over two jobs?

BubbleGums Wed 26-Oct-16 09:09:56

Thank you for your answers. Bit of mixed responses regarding whether getting emergency pay before next pay day is possible. Poppiesway I'm sorry to hear how payroll handled your pay, that's so disrespectful sad

Annoyingly Wednesday is the day I don't get to the office until late afternoon so will be anxiety ridden in the meantime before I get a chance to check out the payslip / call payroll. I really am not sure what to do if they can't pay me and I have to wait 5 weeks until next payday.

What I think might have happened is they have paid me Band 7 hours (15 a week) but assumed I have quit Band 5. So frustrating sad

MulberryBush12 Sat 29-Oct-16 00:00:50

Yes it is definitely possible for an NHS Trust to raise a cheque or do a BACs payment into your bank account. I've had this happen to me quite a few times over the years .Usually when either my department or payroll has made a huge cock-up somewhere along the line.

By my reckoning you are doing 0.4 in your Band 7 secondment and 0.6 in your Band 5; so your total salary should be between 25 and 26K per annum in your mixed role?

In which case you're down at least £500, after tax, NI & Pension etc. I don't think they've paid you for your Band 7 hours alone, just under £1000 is too much. Much more likely is they've paid you 0.6 for your Band 5 role. It wouldn't be so bad if they'd at least paid your full Band 5 monthly wage, with apologies and a promise to sort out the extra Band 7 money owed next pay day-November end.

They've made a huge error and they need to pay you ASAP, not next payday.
It could be that your department haven't submitted the correct paperwork to payroll. Either get your departmental manager to sort it out pronto or/and contact payroll about the missing money.

I seriously doubt your Trust Chief Executive would put up with missing monthly wages!!

MulberryBush12 Sat 29-Oct-16 00:06:26

Also, wouldn't necessarily get 2 wage slips in this situation. Usually only 2 wageslips if your roles are being paid out of 2 separate departmental budgets IYSWIM.
Usually I've only had 1 wageslip in this sort of secondment role with "acting up" hours, separately listed on my wageslip.
HTH

lougle Sat 29-Oct-16 00:35:59

The £1000 will be your Band 5 post. I got just over that this month and I work 23 hrs per week on Band 5 with unsociable hrs. They haven't paid your Band 7 and I would expect you to get that as a separate entry on the same payslip because your employee number will be the same for both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now