Talk

Advanced search

Business Case for one day unpaid leave

(20 Posts)
user1477333978 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:39:20

I'm hoping someone can help me word this - or even give me a hint as to where to start!

I have requested one days unpaid leave (as I have used all my annual leave) and I have been asked to put forward a business case as to why this will benefit the company.

I have NO idea where to even start!

Thank you smile

Mablethorpe Mon 24-Oct-16 19:41:22

Watching in anticipation as I was denied 1 days leave this half term and am instead being allowed (how bloody kind) to work from home.

Mablethorpe Mon 24-Oct-16 19:41:53

Should have said one day unpaid leave.

greenfolder Mon 24-Oct-16 19:42:15

Huh? Why do you need the leave?

Meadows76 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:43:52

Need to know more info.

Why do you need the leave?

What kind of business?

eurochick Mon 24-Oct-16 19:43:57

All you can really do with that is say that the saving to the company will be X and all of your projects/tasks will be unaffected.

Heratnumber7 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:48:19

I suppose the benefit to the company is that you won't be at work not concentrating and doing a shit job because you're worried about not being able to be somewhere else.
Explain how you can still meet your deadlines even with a day off, and how any disruption to the company will be minimal or non existent.

They aren't worried about the days pay. They are concerned that necessary work won't get done.

ImprovingMyMH Mon 24-Oct-16 19:53:11

I think this is just nonsense to try to put you off having the day of unpaid leave. Can you ask to see the relevant policy that states that a business case must be made for a single day of unpaid leave?

user1477333978 Mon 24-Oct-16 20:04:16

I guess whether I need the day is debatable as I have annual leave booked for christmas and new year so in theory I could use one of those days (except I couldn't because I asked for those days for a reason).

maplethorpe Isn't it frustrating!
euro and her I work for a charity. It is a long (and boring) back story but it will be my first day back in the office after mat leave so I don't even have a work load yet. Will most definitely use that though - thank you! smile

Improving I'm with you on that. It feels decidedly awkward of my boss. I could understand needing to make a business case for a week or more but a single day...

Thank you all so much - I wasn't expecting such speedy responses! smile

Muddlingalongalone Mon 24-Oct-16 20:07:26

I'm not a legal expert but Google pare talk leave. I know you need to give 8 weeks notice, but you are entitled to 18 weeks per child or something before they are 18. Not sure if it is a min of a week though.
Sounds crazy to me. Surely business case is you've been off for x amount of time what difference will 1 day make??

Muddlingalongalone Mon 24-Oct-16 20:08:21

*parental stupid autocorrect

greenfolder Mon 24-Oct-16 20:43:19

Did they hire someone to cover you whilst on maternity leave?

user1477333978 Mon 24-Oct-16 21:11:55

They did, Green . They're keeping them on as a job share when I go back.

Thanks muddling - There is a complicating factor in that I have been asked to be somewhere that is not my usual place of work on my first day back which is why I have asked for unpaid leave.

Heratnumber7 Mon 24-Oct-16 21:52:28

I must say, it doesn't look good asking for a day off on the first day you're due back, be it paid or unpaid. Having to go somewhere different is not really a reason to delay your start. What will you do next time they ask you to be in a different place from normal?

user1477333978 Mon 24-Oct-16 22:20:00

her I know - it's not a great start but it was agreed I would be in the office my first day so everything is geared up for that (practically and emotionally!). It has been changed last minute and it plays havoc with childcare etc so it is better if we just delay my start to the following day.

If I had known I would be expected to be out of the office that day I would have suggested a different start date.

(For context I am expected to be out of the office maybe twice a year.)

eurochick Mon 24-Oct-16 22:26:33

Hmm. I think your boss is sending a message that he/she us really unimpressed and is putting down a marker that they won't make it easy for you to take days of unpaid leave.

stillwantrachelshair Mon 24-Oct-16 22:44:35

Would it be easier for your DP/DH to take the day off to cover childcare complications & you go to work. On my first day back, I ended up staying until 10pm (usual finish of 5.30pm) as there was a bit of a crisis & in week two I had to go to Madrid for a night having not had to travel with work for the previous 5yrs or so but I just felt that I was gaining some brownie points for when DD was sick or our childcare fell through at the last minute. I was very glad I had take this approach when, in week four & with DH in the US with work, DD vomited all over me as I put her in the car to take her to nursery & I had to take the day off.

OhTheRoses Mon 24-Oct-16 22:50:26

I think your dp needs to take the day off and you need to go to work. They are being difficult and you need to rise to the occasion.

m0therofdragons Tue 25-Oct-16 09:20:48

After mat leave I found I had to really prove myself again. Asking for the day off unpaid and refusing to alter childcare is really a bit rubbish. Depends on your line of work I guess but I have a feeling that if I did that my future career progression would not look good. You've had a baby, lots of us have, but you also have a job.

user1477333978 Tue 25-Oct-16 09:38:21

Thank you all for your replies. smile

They've been really helpful. I will reassess the situation this afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now