Talk

Advanced search

NHS Reserve list? What does this mean?

(4 Posts)
GuttedDotCom Fri 21-Oct-16 17:28:36

I applied for an NHS job and ticked every single criteria, both the Essential and the Desirable ones. I spent hours on my application, got close family members to proofread and edit it, and I was so hopeful of at least getting an interview.

I have just received an email to say that I am on the "reserve list'. What exactly does this mean? It doesn't make it clear:

1) Am I on the reserve to be interviewed if someone drops out of the interview? (small chance of interview, perhaps)

2) Or am I only on a reserve if, out of everyone they're interviewing, they don't find anyone to offer to job to? (practically zero chance of getting a phone call!)

I was also a little hmm to see they titled their message to me, "Congratulations" - I am gutted - I don't see anything to be optimistic about. sad

tribpot Fri 21-Oct-16 17:44:27

I Googled - there seem to be plenty of recruitment guides out there. The one on NHS Jobs (Word link - will open a Word document) says it's for candidates you want to place on a reserve list waiting to see how many interview confirmations you get, i.e. you're almost on the shortlist for interviewing.

If you don't get an interview I would definitely ask for feedback on the application to see why they didn't score you higher. I guess it's possible there were a number of overqualified candidates who they had to score higher than you, even though you satisfied all the criteria? Fingers crossed you do get an interview.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:15:54

I was put on a reserve list though no-one told me. I assumed I hadn't been shortlisted at all. I pulled out as I saw little point in preparing for an interview against candidates with more relevant experience. It transpired that someone already working in the dept got the job.

NHSerrr Thu 27-Oct-16 20:23:22

In the bit of the NHS I'm in, as tribpot said you would be invited to attend an interview if someone on the interview list declines their invitation or later drops out. Drop-outs seem very common so fingers crossed for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now