Being 'performance managed' aka 'bullied out'...

(11 Posts)
PurpleToeNails Wed 12-Oct-16 21:52:21

Colleagues and clients recognise this is what's happening so not wanting to discuss what's going on.

Instead I'm looking for how best to present why I'm looking for a new job / reason for leaving etc to potential new employers. Has anyone any suggestions or experiences to share?

ChuckBiscuits Wed 12-Oct-16 21:54:23

I always say looking for new opportunities.

MrsPigling Wed 12-Oct-16 21:56:50

how long have you been in your existing job?
if it's been a while - new challenge and opportunity to progress within company
if it's fairly new job - role not as described, looking for better fit of my skills

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 12-Oct-16 21:57:22

Want a change , new challenge . Same happened to me . Traumatic at the time , I was crushed but I'm really happy in my new role.

PurpleToeNails Thu 13-Oct-16 09:56:59

Thanks everyone... I contacted someone for an informal chat about a job and they were gently probing about why I was looking to move on, and then they said they were aware of the high turnover of staff at my employer. I confirmed I was aware of it too, and said no more.

RatherBeRiding Thu 13-Oct-16 15:57:04

The company has changed quite a lot since you started working there, the role isn't what you first took on, you feel you need a new challenge (always a good one, that), you feel you have progressed as far as you can in your existing role - make it more about what you want from a new job rather than why you are leaving your old one.

sportinguista Fri 14-Oct-16 08:22:38

I was in this situation. The best thing you can do is say that you had progressed as far as you could and the opportunities weren't available in your present company.

The thing is word does travel fast about certain companies working environments, if they use agencies they will ask for feedback from candidates. If candidates move very quickly they will see that. Some agencies may even start to avoid placing candidates in difficult companies because they get negative feedback. Some places I've worked at it's been like a revolving door, nobody stays for long.

I avoided the conversation totally as I started my own business. At the start a couple of clients did ask why I left but I just said I wanted the freedom to explore opportunities that my job role didn't give me.

Ifailed Fri 14-Oct-16 08:32:16

You put out the usual line about wanting new challenges etc, but make it relevant to the proposed new employer - research them, have they started a new project etc?
You then present them with a subtle comparison with your current employer and them, explaining why you want to move, but do not bad mouth them, just point out how much 'better' the new position is, flatter them slightly.

Matchingbluesocks Fri 14-Oct-16 08:34:16

I wouldn't worry at all about this. Just use the usual reasons. In fact positive it up and say I wasn't really liking but X opportunity was too good not to go for.

PurpleToeNails Sat 15-Oct-16 07:02:33

Thanks again for the further comments. I appreciate all the replies.

PurpleToeNails Thu 27-Oct-16 05:17:28

Just a brief update to say I have now been offered a new job which I'm excited about, so wish to say thanks again for all the comments!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now