Changing jobs and preganncy nhs

(8 Posts)
Kitkat23 Sat 01-Oct-16 06:45:27

Sadly I'm being forced to change jobs as changes in my current workplace mean that I can no longer continue working there- childcare issues! Yes I've been down the flexible working route and the proposed shifts are just not going to work for me. I'm looking for a new job and have a few interviews lined up. We are also ttc. what I'm wondering is if I change jobs and find out I'm expecting how will his effect my maternity pay? I work for the nhs so would be changing trusts but have over 8 years continuous employment within the nhs. Thanks in advance smile

ShoeJunkie Sat 01-Oct-16 06:53:48

My understanding is that if you move within the NHS all you entitlements remain the same.

waceystills Sat 01-Oct-16 06:56:53

I'm a NHS manager, and as a pp says, you will have continuous service so no need to worry.

Kitkat23 Sat 01-Oct-16 07:09:29

Thankyou so much for your responses. I'm in a very difficult situation with work and am upset that I'm going to have to change jobs. However it could be a positive thing in the long run as am looking at jobs that are more family friendly. Your messages have put my mind at ease should I find I am expecting as it's something me and my husband dont what to put on hold either.

Fruityflapjack Sat 01-Oct-16 07:11:15

Be careful and check. The NHS Trust I currently work for requires 2 years service with them before the 18th week in of pregnancy, regardless of whole NHS service. You would still get statutory mat pay, but not occupational may pay.

I would advise giving the HR dept of the Trust your are applying to a call to check their policy.

RuskBaby Sat 01-Oct-16 07:16:22

I've started maternity leave yesterday, Changed trusts whilst very early days pregnant just didn't know it. I won't be receiving full maternity pay so do double check.

Fruityflapjack Sat 01-Oct-16 07:19:27

If you are concerned about maternity pay is joining the Nurse bank at your Trust an option? Ours pays occupational maternity pay, does yours? Could that be a way around it for now?
(No idea of your circumstances but just trying to help if I can)

Kitkat23 Sat 01-Oct-16 07:22:29

Ok thanks guys. Been trying to locate the trusts maternity policy to do some research. I'm not expecting at the moment but wanted to ensure if I did fall pregnant what I would or wouldn't be entitled to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now