Talk

Advanced search

Working a LOT more weekends and anti-social hours in the NHS these days!

(9 Posts)
CountryLovingGirl Thu 29-Sep-16 20:56:42

Hi,

I know Jeremy Hunt is pushing for a 7 day NHS (using staff from 5 days) but I think it is becoming absolutely ridiculous. All of our shifts have been changed and forced upon us (plus a massive pay cut). We used to work SAT and SUN mornings every 5 or 6 weeks. Nowadays, we are working a full day shift and at least 2 full weekends out of every 4. Some of us have even worked EVERY weekend in 4.

We have reduced staff over the last 3 years or so but we actually need more staff to cover the weekends and extended hours during the day/evening.

I have never seen staff so unhappy (and I have >20 years service). A lot of my colleagues are mums with very young children. A few of them are not only working until 8pm a LOT of the month but also an awful lot of weekends. Not only does this cause chaos with childcare (especially for those who have partners who work shifts) but also they never see their children. My kids are getting a bit older (secondary) but I feel so sorry for my colleagues. Is this going to be the norm in the NHS? I can't see how the NHS will hang onto staff (especially females) if they are forced to work such in-family friendly hours.

Is anyone else going through this right now?

CountryLovingGirl Thu 29-Sep-16 20:57:32

13 hour nightshifts are in this too!

Mummyamy123 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:59:38

YEP!! Work for the ambulance service, as a reserve up you work 3 out of 4 weekends (12 hour shifts either nights or days). Nightmare with kids sad

CountryLovingGirl Thu 29-Sep-16 21:02:45

It is awful compared to what it used to be. I honestly don't know how they can get away with it. Of course, managers never seem to be in at weekends. If it were a true 7 day service...

scaredofthecity Thu 29-Sep-16 21:12:39

I think your right and it has to change. 13 hour shifts are completely unsustainable. I know of several nurses who have not returned after having children, and none of them had been qualified more than 5 or 6 years!

I'm lucky I work in theatres which is a little more protected although our weekend work has increased massively.
7 day service is rediculous, there is not the money, staff or infrastructure to implement this.
Surely staffing levels (esp. Staff retention) is far far more important.

I'm afraid to say the only motive I can see is to bankrupt the nhs. Even the evidence for 7 day working is flawed!

scaredofthecity Thu 29-Sep-16 21:15:43

I am lucky in that I am not on a rota and able to work the same days each week. But I don't see how those that don't have this luxury manage. It wouldn't have been worth me returning to work after having Ds otherwise. I'd have been better off on benefits. I know cos I checked!

Tunafishandlions Thu 29-Sep-16 21:17:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mandatorymongoose Thu 29-Sep-16 21:40:33

I've just taken a new job outside the nhs where I know I'll only be doing 2/4 weekends and my rota will be fixed so I will at least be able to make arrangements months in advance.

DH's work are reasonably flexible about his shifts but only getting my rota a week in advance and working every weekend made childcare impossible.

lougle Thu 29-Sep-16 22:07:44

Patients don't get better because it's late or it's the weekend. Sad but true. I'm doing lots of nights and weekends. Young children. It's just the nature of healthcare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now