Resigning while off with stress

(7 Posts)
Greensweet Thu 29-Sep-16 15:59:38

Hi all,

Just need some advice really. I'm currently signed off work with stress and have decided that I just can't go back. I am going to resign but I want to know if I can do this by emailing my boss and attaching my resignation letter. I really do not want to speak to them on the phone or in person. I just feel too ill and the thought of having to have this conversation makes me feel awful. Would it be acceptable to resign by email do you think?

Thanks!

pizzaeatingmonkey Thu 29-Sep-16 17:25:48

Don't want to read and run. I should've done this instead of trying to go back and ending up throwing the keys at the bullying boss and walking out!
flowers

HereIAm20 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:41:05

Yes - I think so. I would include what you have just said though - that you feel unfit to be able to speak to them at present but trust they will realise why you have come to this decision.

It may be that they breathe a sigh of relief too as employers sometimes find it difficult to know what to do in such situations regarding cover, keeping jobs open etc.

I hope you get well soon and take things easy for a while. I am sure it will be a weight off your mind once its done.

MrsNuckyThompson Thu 29-Sep-16 18:43:57

Yes they won't mind if you just do it by email. Do you feel you could speak to someone in HR about what's happened? Even if you still want to leave they will want to know.

Lilacpink40 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:50:13

I'd second the contacting HR rather than your regular team/dept. You are likely to be due support from occupational health. They may be able to give you additional advice.

You may still continue down the same route, but they may help things become more straightforward.

Medicaltextbook Thu 29-Sep-16 18:52:07

Yes - I have actually done this. I was very stressed about letting them know so emailed. You do need to request a reply to know they got it. Do you have a sick note that covers your notice period? I never physically went back, and it was a shock when they posted the things from my desk (including half of a small pack of tissues - was that really necessary?). They did send me a card separately.

Greensweet Fri 30-Sep-16 08:47:41

Thank you for your replies. I am a teacher so have to resign to the head teacher. I don't even know if schools have HR? My notice period is 3 months but, after explaining the situation to my doctor, he implied he would continue to sign me as not fit to work until I leave. I don't think I will ever be able to face going back. 🙁 Thanks for the advice regarding sending an email, I think that's the route I will go down. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now