Talk

Advanced search

being asked to sign an NDA before interview - normal?

(6 Posts)
bearhug Mon 26-Sep-16 14:59:12

I'm just not sure what to make of it. The agency is OK, I've dealt with them before. They seem to be a bit surprised about the secrecy themselves.

I can't think of a good reason not to sign the NDA but can't work out why the potential employer would require this. Anytthoughts?

pitterpatterrain Mon 26-Sep-16 15:01:25

I think we have one for interviews that people sign on the day of interview - it is more so that our team can talk clearly about what the job is about with specific project examples, including who our clients are in detail versus "a project for a company in this sector"

bearhug Mon 26-Sep-16 15:12:09

Yes I can see that makes sense.

in this case they won't even tell me who the potential employer is though.

dodobookends Mon 26-Sep-16 15:22:09

Once you've signed it, you'll find out why, no doubt.

I had to sign one once (placement from a temp agency) - the minute I got there, I was taken into a side-room by the front door and asked to sign all manner of confidentiality documents before I was allowed in. Once I'd signed and was taken in to the main office, I found out the reason for all the cloak-and-dagger stuff.

pitterpatterrain Mon 26-Sep-16 15:43:25

Ah oh. No I haven't heard of that. I would want to make sure the package / role is sufficient before wasting time I think

Andromache77 Mon 26-Sep-16 15:50:43

It depends on the industry and the role you would be applying for. If it's any consolation, NDAs are pointless and essentially unenforceable except for very limited exceptions. Their main purpose is scaring you shitless so that you keep your mouth shut, apart from earning the drafter a nice fee. I'm a lawyer myself, in case you wondered, and I think they're not worth the paper they are printed on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now