Talk

Advanced search

How soon is too soon to leave a job?!

(6 Posts)
ptsleslie Tue 13-Sep-16 10:47:53

I've been in my new job since the middle of July and I absolutely love it! However, the hours are an absolute killer it's not so much the 7am starts or the 10pm finishes that get me - it's the night shifts! I obviously knew that when I accepted the job but I'm feeling a bit down, feel like I never spend time with my family and feel like I'm missing out on a lot at home. But maybe that's a fair price to pay for a job I love?? Anyway, I've seen a job in a similar field advertised which is Monday - Friday (I currently work some weekends) and the service is only open 9-6, whereas my current service is 24/7. It's also slightly better paid. I really want to apply for it but I feel so guilty! Is it too soon? Is it unfair to leave when I'm not even half way through my probation?! hmm

LemonBreeland Tue 13-Sep-16 10:50:03

I think you can be honest and say that you are finding the night shifts harder than expected and that is why you want to leave.

MidMay Tue 13-Sep-16 10:56:32

Sounds like you're a HCP OP. Night shifts are tough and some can cope with the 24/7 shift pattern better than others. I'd say apply for the new role and see what happens. Remember though that if you are working shorter 9-6 shifts, you'll inevitably be at work more days.

bettybyebye Tue 13-Sep-16 10:59:29

Definitely apply for the other role. You can be completely honest and just say your current shift pattern is not working for you and your family. Good luck!

ptsleslie Tue 13-Sep-16 11:02:32

The job I've seen advertised is Monday - Friday. I don't mind working 8 hour shifts 5 days a week (which is what the job that I want to apply for is), it would be so much better than sometimes working a 14 hour shift, followed by a 2.5 hour shift then a sleep in etc. I just feel awful because I am in LOVE with my new job, but the hours are ridiculous and if I'm honest I miss my partner, even little things like sitting watching tv in the evening with him.

INeedANameChange Tue 13-Sep-16 14:54:04

I've left a job after one day before. I can't say it affected my career prospects grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now