Could I negotiate more salary?

(8 Posts)
The2Ateam Fri 09-Sep-16 20:00:05

I am waiting to find out if I have been successful in my application/interview for a new role with my current employer

I work for a large, well known public service. My department is split into four disiplines. If I am successful in getting this role I will be promoted to the next pay/grade banding. However, as I am at the top of my current pay band the rise will be very small, and will also tip me just over £50,000 so I will lose my child benefit.

My question is this: Is it appropriate/cheeky to ask to start new role further up the pay spine? Thank you x

The2Ateam Sun 11-Sep-16 14:50:53

Bump

tigerdog Sun 11-Sep-16 14:54:42

No, not at all. I would certainly ask. I have worked in the NHS, which has rigid pay bands, and rules around starting new jobs at the first point on the pay scale if you go up a band. Both times I got a new job, I successfully negotiated to be a couple of pay points higher. Just set your case out and the worst they can do it say no.

Good luck!

The2Ateam Sun 11-Sep-16 15:29:11

Thank you tigerdog, I definitely will otherwise I am at a loss.

babynelly2010 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:12:12

I negotiated 2 bands up at my current public sector post when I gained new internal post. I went from part to full time. I told them that my taxes will increase and it will actually cost me more per hour to put two kids into afterschool clubs that I could make in one hour. I was successful and got pretty close to what I asked for. I would type up an email and explain that even thought you got an increase it is not actually a real increase and tell them why. Have a specific salary grade that you want to earn. The worst thing they can do is say no but if they do they will have to explain why.

The2Ateam Sun 11-Sep-16 21:04:04

Thank you Bellynelly, that's really helpful to know x

ClashCityRocker Sun 11-Sep-16 21:17:49

Is the salary gross? The 50k for child benefit is calculated on pay net of pension contributions so that may take you under.

Also, you don't lose it in full - I believe it's reduced by 1% of every £100 over 50k, so you can earn up to 60k before you lose it all.

Just wanted to add in case it helps.

The2Ateam Mon 12-Sep-16 08:50:43

Thank you! It does help actually - a lot.

It would be +50,000 gross pa, starting. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now