Talk

Advanced search

What are my chances of part time

(3 Posts)
teamakeseverythingok Wed 07-Sep-16 08:42:21

I started a job in October last year. I love the job, my team and the company.

I started full time as that's what they were offering and I needed a job.

Fast forward a year and I now work 4 days a week. Various things have happened in our department which means we have too much work and not enough staff etc.

I have just requested to reduce my hours to 3.5 days to allow me some better quality time with dc before I miss out.

Anyway what do you think my chances are given I will hand my notice in if they say no.

Stillunexpected Wed 07-Sep-16 09:39:36

If the department has too much work and not enough staff, I don't think your chances are great. And I wouldn't threaten to leave if they don't agree because they will probably accept your resignation and fill the role with a full-time person. Only hand in your notice if you are genuinely prepared to go and not as a bargaining tool! If you are proposing to reduce to 3.5 days, what are your suggestions for how they will manage the already high workload?

flowery Wed 07-Sep-16 13:46:49

Well, if you put in an excellent, well-thought-out business plan for reducing your hours to 3.5 days, including 'selling' it as being good for the business and providing a clear , realistic and constructive outline of how your workload can be managed with no negative impact on the rest of the team, then the chances are much higher than if you just wrote a letter saying you want to reduce your hours.

How did you frame your request? if you are just expecting your over-worked colleagues to pick up the slack/are expecting your employer to come up with a way to make this work, then I wouldn't be optimistic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now