Talk

Advanced search

Training costs

(6 Posts)
muchovino Mon 29-Aug-16 16:56:21

Work not really into training however have recently been putting less experienced staff through qualification x which does not cost the company anything due to some funding obtained (however 12-18 month course rather than fast-track). I was asked if I wanted to do the same course which I explained was probably not at the right level as I am more experienced, therefore more useful to me and the business to do qualification y. This all seemed sensible and work said they would pay for my study. Now goalposts have changed and I will have to pay half of quite a hefty sum if I want to do qualification y. Feeling very disappointed about this and let down as I am one of the most experienced in the team and will probably have to do qualification x. I am not against taking a qualification but would rather do one that is more beneficial and also can be done in a more condensed time as I do not want to be studying for up to 18 months. With what I do for the business I also feel that it is only fair that work should pay for the course (as they have done before this free one came up), surely businesses can recoup training costs through the business as well as making employees pay them back if they leave? I am feeling really peeved about this and unappreciated. TIA for reading! smile

flowery Mon 29-Aug-16 18:29:51

"surely businesses can recoup training costs through the business as well as making employees pay them back if they leave?"

How? Do you mean if you are doing a relevant qualification that will enhance your performance thereby bringing in more money?

It sounds like they had funding from elsewhere to pay for qualification X, but for you to do qualification y there is no external funding available therefore it will cost them a significant amount, is that right?

It doesn't seem unreasonable of them to offer to pay half tbh. Why do you feel this is "unfair"?

muchovino Mon 29-Aug-16 18:43:30

Thanks for the reply Flowery, yes, I mean that a relevant qualification will be beneficial to me and will also be a good selling point for the company (as they are already doing by putting others through qual x). You are also correct that there is no external funding for qual y, although previous qual x's (prior to the current external funding) were paid for by the company, which is why I think my situation is unfair. It looks like I will have to complete a qualification just because it is free and not really of much benefit to me or the company and will also take ages to complete.

flowery Tue 30-Aug-16 05:58:35

"It looks like I will have to complete a qualification just because it is free and not really of much benefit to me or the company and will also take ages to complete."

Why not do qualification Y then? Your employer has agreed to pay half. If you are unable to find the rest yourself, would they perhaps give you an interest-free loan for the rest? Are you able to try and negotiate a pay rise to take effect when you complete the qualification, which would off-set the cost to you? If the qualification would benefit both parties it seems sensible to try and find a way of doing it.

muchovino Tue 30-Aug-16 07:33:40

Thanks Flowery for the different aproach to this, I will certainly give it some thought!

flowery Tue 30-Aug-16 08:48:37

I'm all about the end result. It's frustrating they won't pay the full amount for your different, more expensive qualification but that's the situation and they certainly have no obligation to. You could complain to them about it not being fair, but that won't achieve much IMO.

Therefore, the best way of deciding on what to do is to think about what end result you want. 18 months spent doing a qualification you don't want and don't think will be useful to you, or taking advantage of the funding offered to you, putting in a bit of financial investment yourself to get you a qualification that will probably advance your career and enable you to earn more going forward.

Know what I'd do!

Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now