Talk

Advanced search

Being pushed out of my job?

(8 Posts)
bluebellknoll Thu 25-Aug-16 09:26:09

Hello all,

I've been at my current workplace for over a year now. I've been subjected to bullying, which I've documented, but have yet to make a complaint about. Recently, I've had to take around two months off work sick due to long-term illness. In my time here, everyone else has been promoted apart from me. The last straw was yesterday when those who have been here less time than I have, and who started here with a position beneath mine, have now been promoted to positions superior to mine. I have more experience and qualifications than them, I'm liked by most people in my team, I know I am good at my job. There have been no issues in appraisals, other than I'm too introverted. I feel so humiliated, I don't know how I can show my face at work anymore. I feel I'm being pushed out because of my disease. Where do I go from here? Will constructive dismissal apply in my situation? HR are pretty useless, but I've emailed them enquiring about grievance procedure, and have arranged a meeting with my manager's boss. Would greatly appreciate any advice, thank you.

OllyBJolly Thu 25-Aug-16 09:45:07

What's your grievance?

There is no right to promotion, and length of service isn't any guarantee of promotion.

No case for constructive dismissal.

What's the topic for the meeting with your line manager's boss?

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 25-Aug-16 15:00:17

There is no right to promotion, and length of service isn't any guarantee of promotion.
^ this. You seem to feel you should get promoted automatically.

titchy Thu 25-Aug-16 15:07:39

Maybe they were better than you?

melibu84 Thu 25-Aug-16 15:11:33

I agree with the others.

There is no entitlement to be promoted. Maybe the others have something that you don't, or your employer does not want to put more pressure on you if you've been ill. You need to prove that you're better than the others. i do not think that a grievance procedure is the way to go, it will actually make you look bad. Instead you should have a meeting with your managers to discuss CONSTRUCTIVELY what they think you need to do to get promoted / further your career.

2ndSopranosRule Thu 25-Aug-16 15:53:37

Have you actually applied for these promotions?

HermioneWeasley Thu 25-Aug-16 16:06:55

A year is not a long time, and you've been off sick for 2 months of it.

I'm sorry to be brutal, but few companies would see that as promotion material

IceMaiden73 Thu 25-Aug-16 21:55:36

I agree with everyone else, promotion is not a right x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now