We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"undesirable"

(5 Posts)
Liddy100 Tue 23-Aug-16 10:03:13

Hi everyone. I could really do with some help / guidance / advice please.
I finished working just before I had my first baby (April 2013). Just as I was about to go back to work, I found out I was pregnant with my second and my husbands job was going to take him away during the week. Luckily, the company I was with offered me voluntary redundancy which (upon agreement with my husband) seemed the best and most sensible option, so I took it.
No my son is 3 and my daughter is nearly 2, I'm ready to go back to work.
I have a great CV - exec assistant and pa in some really well respected and desirable London based companies, masses of experience in a variety of industries, great references and willingness to start in a lower grade/salary job and work my way up.
Now, we all know that rectruitment agencies and companies aren't meant to ask you if you have children,. But they do, you fluster your answer and suddenly you become an undesirable candidate - all of which I have heard too often in the last 3 months! I've applied for over 30 roles in the last few months and I have heard back from 1!!
At the end of the day, I'm a mum first and I love that and I accept that, but I'm ready to go back to work.
So, please, can anyone give me suggestions on what to do or point me in the right direction of a mum friendly job site???
TIA xx

Middleoftheroad Tue 23-Aug-16 10:11:49

Mumsnet have jobs advertised and, I think it's called Workingmums.com

I work in admin for a trust of schools, which is so family friendly. Perhaps worth applying to schools/trusts as PA to CEO/headteachers

Good luck. It took me a couple of years to find sthg after I took VR with young kids, but you will find sthg and with an employer who values all traits you bring professionally as a working parent.

Liddy100 Tue 23-Aug-16 13:00:51

Thanks for your suggestion - it is something I have looked in to and regularly check e-teach. If you could recommend some other sites that would be great and much appreciated x

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 23-Aug-16 13:52:28

I think you also need to recognise just how many applicants there are for admin jobs. My most recent advert had 70 applicants, 90% of whom had excellent experience. It is a numbers game you just have to keeping applying.

Redcliff Tue 23-Aug-16 20:22:43

I work for local government and find them pretty family friendly. You might be better off with direct applications rather than agencies - try jobsgopublic recreutment site or www.womenlikeus.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now