Talk

Advanced search

Maturnity pay.. confused!

(3 Posts)
Sarah205 Mon 22-Aug-16 08:41:36

Hi I split up with my ex, who I have one child too,she is 2 years old. I started claiming income support and housing benifit but I do work 6 hours a week wich is taken into consideration and ducted from my income support, I found out after splitting up with him I am pregnant,I would have fallen pregnant the month before we spit up which I have informed the dwp of. I don't understand how maturnity pay works. As I only work hours a week I can't claim SMP off my employer but can claim MP this off the government. It says I will either get £139 per week or 90 percent of my weekly earnings (which ever is lowest) I only earn about 45 per week. but I claim income support and this will stop once I take maturnity leave! Can anyone help on my situation. If I wasn't working I would get 139 pound per week but because I work 6 hours I don't now don't know what happens with maturnity pay!

Caramelsalt Tue 23-Aug-16 21:19:45

To be entitled to £139 per week maternity allowance you need to earn over that before maternity leave so you will not get this.

If your earnings are£45 per week you are entitled to 90% of this as maternity allowance. You Should be able to claim Income Support to top this up to the minimum personal allowance (-around£72pw). You can then claim child tax credits etc.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 23-Aug-16 21:22:50

If you earn £45 a week, you'll get 90% of that - around £40.50. You'll then be able to top this up with IS and usual child benefit and child tax credits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now