Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any social workers about?

(3 Posts)
BinRaidingRaccoon Sat 20-Aug-16 11:47:05

Just that really - I'm about to begin a period of SAHP-ing due to the commute to my old job being unmanageable. We moved during maternity leave for my husband's job.

We're luckily not dependant on my salary - we live in a cheap part of the country.

I'm considering going into social work - I worked in elderly care as a student doing an unrelated degree.

While I'm off, is there anything I can do to make myself more attractive to admissions people? I'm thinking some care home work? Or HomeStart volunteering? Or are there any courses I could do?

RayofFuckingSunshine Sat 20-Aug-16 11:53:44

Might be worth having a look at the Step Up to Social Work programme if you have a previous degree with good grades.

(Not a social worker, but worked in that area). You could look at Health & Social care qualifications which are relatively easy. Care work may be an idea but is an awful slog and completely thankless. Youth work could be worth a look, or voluntary work - substance misuse, domestic abuse, children, sex workers. Anything along those lines I would imagine would increase your appeal at application for uni. Would you give going for another bachelors or a Masters?

BinRaidingRaccoon Sat 20-Aug-16 12:51:53

Oooh, I'd not heard of Step Up! I'll look into that, thanks. I'd hopefully go for the Masters - I've got an irrelevant one already (History).

I remember care work being a mixed bag...worst experience was having some shit chucked at me confused. Maybe HomeStart might be better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now