To leave a job I love?

(19 Posts)
The2Ateam Fri 19-Aug-16 08:47:12

I love my job, really interesting/exciting and suits my skills set. I am lucky to work where I do in my field.

However, it's really hard work and my boss blocks any attempts at flexible working. As the main breadwinner, I could also do with a pay rise.

I have been head-hunted by an ex-colleague for a job which is more pay, and more flexible. However I suspect a bit boring.

Is it a no brainer???
I have two young kids that I need to see more

RipMacWinkle Fri 19-Aug-16 16:34:13

To be honest to think it might be. The job could be a bit boring but maybe it isn't? But extra money AND flexibility could make all the difference.

It depends on what drives you personally I think. You have to get real clarity on your own reasons for working and what's important to you.

Hope it all works out whatever you decide

The2Ateam Fri 19-Aug-16 18:59:07

Thank you RipMacWinkle xx

cexuwaleozbu Fri 19-Aug-16 19:12:41

Is there potential to make it more interesting as the business develops?

The2Ateam Fri 19-Aug-16 20:12:34

Perhaps. It's a brand new position and that area of business is having a lot of money pumped into it at the moment. It still won't be as interesting or rewarding as my current role though. X

MilesHuntsWig Fri 19-Aug-16 20:37:35

Could you use the offer as leverage to get a better deal at your current work?

The2Ateam Fri 19-Aug-16 21:09:19

I'm not sure, it's public sector so no real opportunity for pay rise or promotion to get me to stay, and I can't see my current boss suddenly becoming flexible just to keep me, as disappointed as she would be to see me go.

SaltySeaBird Mon 22-Aug-16 05:36:03

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. What did you decide to do?

The2Ateam Mon 22-Aug-16 10:05:18

Well, I'm sitting here writing my application - it doesn't need to be in it a decision made until the 5th. I am really torn still to be honest. I range from thinking it's a no brainer, to being scared and wanting to stay where I am. More money and flexibility surely is a game changer right? Perhaps I'm my own worst enemy and I bit of a glutton for punishment!! What do you think you will do?

SaltySeaBird Mon 22-Aug-16 11:42:52

I've got to make my decision by tomorrow. I do love my job but the new one is a lot better for family life - I also have a long commute at present which the new one doesn't have. Head says one thing the heart says another.

RowenaDahl Mon 22-Aug-16 11:45:20

What is more important to you? Interesting or flexibility/higher salary?

I would apply and see what happens. You can always say no. I don't think you ever know what a job will be like until you do it. Being headhunted is always a very good start as you are obviously held in high regard by the person doing the hunting!

RowenaDahl Mon 22-Aug-16 11:46:15

Also, you are dithering about the decision but you haven't even got the job yet!

The2Ateam Mon 22-Aug-16 13:11:27

Lol, yes! The thing is a work because I have to.

I am the breadwinner, not by choice, and whilst I love my job, I do feel trapped by the always having to be there.

There is no room to move where I currently am, they won't allow working from home ever, or much else apart from dropping hours, which I can't afford to do.

I built my career before I became a slave to it if that's makes sense. I would like to earn more and commute less & see my kids more, which I think new role would offer, but won't be anywhere near as interesting.

HeyMacWey Mon 22-Aug-16 13:18:18

More money, flexibility and a reduced commute - seems like a no-brainer to me.

Apply apply apply grin

The2Ateam Mon 22-Aug-16 13:26:59

HeyMacWey Lol! My point exactly, I think it will require 'Motivation' though!!

DiegeticMuch Mon 22-Aug-16 14:58:32

A newly created role has the potential not to be boring. You can stamp your own mark on it.

RipMacWinkle Mon 22-Aug-16 16:18:43

^^ agree with loads of the points here. Get on it OP. Give yourself the option at least

Good luck!

The2Ateam Mon 22-Aug-16 17:03:27

Thank you all! Nearly finished first draft of application.... I really hate applicationsangry

HyacinthFuckit Thu 25-Aug-16 10:01:23

I don't think it's a no brainer, there are clearly advantages to both staying where you are and the new job. It's a question of weighing up whether love for the job or money and flexibility should come first. I'd go for the latter but it would be totally reasonable to prioritise the former.

Would definitely at least bang in the application though. You're not committing to anything by doing it, so you're doing the right thing there. Presumably you could get more idea when you go for your interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now