Advanced search

I live with my daughter but I cannot claim for her

(9 Posts)
frances999 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:28:16

Hi i live with my mum, dad and my daughter. My mum has a residence order. My mum works only 7 hours a week at the school, my dad retired. My mum is entitled to child tax credits. Yet she does not and will not claim for them. My mum just gets child benefit. I am currently on Universal credit and they will not allow me to claim the child element, as I do not get the child benefit for her. However his feels unfair to me as a friend of mine is in the same position, she has her chil 4 nights a week and gets child tax credits. My daughter and I live in the same house and I am responsible for her care even thought my mum has a RO. Am I entitled to the child element????? Seems to be one rule for one person one for another. I just want so I can provide for my daughter and be a proper mum.

LillyInTheMoon Tue 26-Jul-16 22:48:35

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you as its not a situation I have any experience in. However, I don't think you'll get much response in employment issues. If you report your post you can ask MNHQ to move it to another section where you're more likely to get an appropriate response

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-16 23:42:07

Hi Op
We'll move this into chat for a bit more traffic for now

FoofFighter Tue 26-Jul-16 23:44:47

This is correct. The person who can claim the tax credits is whoever claims the child benefit.

KittyLaRoux Tue 26-Jul-16 23:46:33

Do you need the child element to provide for your daughter?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 27-Jul-16 00:24:36

No you won't be able to 'claim for her'.

I would focus on furthering your employment/career prospects if possible while you have so much childcare on tap.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

panegyricS1 Fri 29-Jul-16 16:51:28

Assuming nobody is starving or in dire need, perhaps focus on improving your circumstances so that you can become legally responsible for your child. Then, you can claim anything for which you may be eligible. Hopefully the father is contributing financially too. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now