Talk

Advanced search

Made redundant on maternity: pay question

(5 Posts)
Bovneydazzlers Thu 14-Jul-16 20:17:12

Well just as I thought life was going swimmingly...found out today they are closing our office and all the team either relocate 150 miles away or are made redundant.

I'm 6 months into mat leave and down to SMP (as well as pension, childcare vouchers, health care).

I've worked there 4 years and entitled to statutory redundancy pay. My contractual notice is 4 weeks. I've accrued 15 days holiday so far whilst on Mat leave.

I'm a bit confused, what payment will I be due?

Is it just the notice period, or notice period then the stat redundancy payment?

And can the SMP that gets paid be taken off either of these?

Also what about paid leave, is this on top of my notice period or is this absorbed within it?

Pretty floored by it all but just trying to get the facts together.

DeepfriedPizza Thu 14-Jul-16 20:23:03

I was made redundant during maternity . I deferred my redundancy to be at the end of my maternity leave. I took a year maternity so got my smp and when that stopped I went down to no pay for a few months (we coped financially because DH had just got his redundancy too) then got paid my redundancy plus all my holiday pay for the full year, that's why I deferred. I didn't get any extra for notice period. I didn't have to pay back smp.

Bovneydazzlers Thu 14-Jul-16 20:46:39

Thanks deepfried, is that a statutory thing that you are able to defer it? It sounds great. I assume that may just be a company policy rather than statutory.

Hufflepuffin Thu 14-Jul-16 20:57:50

I got al my smp, all my paid leave accrued, pay in lieu of notice, money for retraining, kept my work computer and the return to work bonus I was due. They will feel bad about making you redundant DON'T let them get away with minimising it to make themselves feel better. My company would say things like "well, at least you'll have more time with your DC" and I would say "oh I need to get a new job but it will be difficult" and sit there looking sad.

Bovneydazzlers Thu 14-Jul-16 22:32:47

Wow huffin that's great! I've emailed HR, let's see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now