Holiday entitlement - 28 days inclusive of 8 statutory and other public holidays

(9 Posts)
Roundtoedshoes Fri 08-Jul-16 21:59:07

Apologies if I am being a bit dim, but can someone please kindly clarify something for me? DH has verbally agreed to start a new job - an email copy of the contract have come in.

Holiday entitlement is 28 days inclusive of 8 statutory and other public holidays based on working a basic 5 day week. 3 days of holiday must be reserved between 27th December and 1st January each year if the company decides to have a break.

Does this mean he basically has 17 days of holiday of his choice? He has to take the bank holidays from the allowance, right? And they have asked him to reserve 3 of those days for Christmas. I believe this is the government minimum. I have googled, but nothing is very clear to me regarding this. I have a very generous holiday entitlement at my place of work (very lucky, I know). This would mean holiday for me spent alone a lot of the time which I'm not keen on (some time is fine, but mine equates to a lot more, not just a few odd days - I get the BH's 'for free').

CMOTDibbler Fri 08-Jul-16 22:03:48

The minimum holiday is 28 days, and yes that can include public holidays - and employers can direct when any or all of that is taken. So its a perfectly legal holiday contract.

Nydj Fri 08-Jul-16 22:04:17

Yes, you are correct - it's not uncommon.

onlywhenyouleave Fri 08-Jul-16 22:04:33

Yes, you are correct (assuming his workplace closes on BH's) that he has 17 days of his own choice. It is the legal minimum holiday entitlement.

StereophonicallyChallenged Fri 08-Jul-16 22:06:34

Yes, he has 17 days to actually choose/book himself op.
Seems shit compared to yours but is very normal in my line of work, and many others too.
Hth

AnotherRubberDuck Fri 08-Jul-16 22:07:01

They say 'inclusive of bank holidays' in case the employee doesn't want to take the bank holiday off, or they don't necessarily get bank holidays off as standard.

As always, employers get final say on when holiday can be taken.

Sounds normal to me.

Roundtoedshoes Fri 08-Jul-16 22:12:14

Thanks so much for the responses ladies - very helpful. One time I wish I wasn't right! I know I'm really lucky...with BH's I can potentially have 48 days a year off...I'd best get a hobby!

Cakescakescakes Fri 08-Jul-16 22:14:06

That sounds totally normal to me. 4 weeks off plus stats is fairly standard I'd imagine?

Roundtoedshoes Fri 08-Jul-16 22:22:56

I actually thought the minimum was 16, so 20 isn't so bad (or 4 weeks) - those extra 3 are a bit irritating though. We could use the BH's to maximise the leave I suppose, but until he starts, no idea what existing team members already have, and this year his leave will be pro-rated. Plus the downside of my place is that with so much leave, others have sometimes got in with the 'good dates with the BH's' before I get a look in (total first world problem I know and I'm pleased DH has a job offer and that I am very fortunate).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now