Talk

Advanced search

Need some perspective re work

(6 Posts)
Cosycottage4 Sun 03-Jul-16 20:30:11

I'm 28 weeks with DC2 and finishing work in 9 weeks, so really I should have things in better perspective, but am really struggling.

I have a stressful job with a lot of responsibility and am finding it difficult to manage my anxiety levels at the mo. Particularly because we have a load of incompetent team members that we are trying to upskill, but in the meantime I am basically accountable for their work (ie reviewing and getting it up to the required standard within very tight deadlines) I feel like everyday is a race against the clock to turn a shit piece of work around and sent to the client before I have to fly out of the door at 5 on the dot to collect my DD from nursery.

I am already dreading tomorrow because I know what's waiting for me...I just don't feel like I can carry on at this pace. My boss sort of understands the situation but would basically tell me to just take a step back...but I when I do, I'm the one who gets it in the neck with the client-which is NOT a pleasant experience! I also care about the work so find this a difficult approach anyway.

Anyone been in a similar situation or got any words of advice re how to detach/manage stress?! I want to enjoy these last weeks but find myself constantly thinking about work in the evenings and at weekends :-(

BeatricePotter Sun 03-Jul-16 22:49:52

Yes! It's very difficult but I've found the only way is to care less. If you do that then you are not covering up for other people and they HAVE to step up. If they don't then it becomes a management problem.

You will be out of there in 9 weeks. What will happen when you go? They will have to cope.

jclm Sun 03-Jul-16 22:58:53

Any way you can bring the maternity leave start date earlier? You want to be winding down now, not stressing about work x x x

Kerberos Mon 04-Jul-16 08:12:28

I would also ask the question of who will do what you are doing in 9 weeks time.

Is it that your colleagues can't do the work required or won't?

Personally I'd be having a chat with the client, setting out what's going on and how you are managing it and asking them to work with you. So tell them you are off in 9 weeks, bringing other members of staff up to speed and ask for their cooperation. Of course that's situation dependent but might be worth thinking of.

Cosycottage4 Tue 05-Jul-16 07:09:33

Thanks so much for your replies :-) Had another awful day yesterday and def can't carry on as I am.

I had a chat with my boss about it but it's unclear what the solution is at the moment as I am the only one who can really do what I'm doing...and the idea is that by the time I leave, the team will be properly up skilled and better able to cope without me.

I do think I need to start caring less, and just doing what I can do without over-exerting myself. It's just really hard, especially as I don't want this to affect my reputation with the client who I will be working with when I get back from mat leave. The client does know our predicament but is not really prepared to offer any slack as they obviously have their own pressures and just need us to deliver.

Cosycottage4 Tue 05-Jul-16 07:10:03

Sadly there's no option to start may leave earlier, although I would dearly love to!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now