CV help experience

(7 Posts)
Mbear Tue 28-Jun-16 14:02:27

Hi, I've just been made redundant. I've been with my current employer for a long time and whilst I have worked my way up in the company, I'm not sure if my CV is really showing potential employers this.

Has anyone used a CV writing service before? I'm just trying to decide if it is something that is worth doing and are they worth paying for? Any recommendations would also be fab. Thanks.

PastoralCare Tue 28-Jun-16 14:09:40

Hello Mbear,

I would say it depends on what you are looking for and how much work you are willing to put in your c.v..

If you aren't willing to put any work and/or are clueless, you should indeed hire someone to do it for you.

However, if they are remotely reputable, you will have to spend a couple of hours on the phone telling about who you are, what you did, what you want etc...

If I were you, I would go on linkedin and find profiles of people who are currently or have been in the kind of job you are aspiring for.

Then, get as much inspiration from their public profile as you can justify. How you word things is crucial specially if you are uploading your c.v. to a job board. Most of these are "read" by algorithms so it's important you include the keywords that are attractive to the industry.

Send me a PM here if you'd like and I'll take a look at what you have.

Mbear Tue 28-Jun-16 19:12:21

Thanks Pastoral, that's really interesting. I hadn't thought about the lack of personal reading.

Part of my issue, is that I'm not sure I want to stay in the exact same field, but because I don't know what I want to do specifically, I'm finding a general CV more difficult.

I will PM you, thank you.

EBearhug Wed 29-Jun-16 00:22:11

Think about what things you really like doing at work and definitely want more of. Think about the things you really don't want any more of. Also consider things you're so-so about, but that's less important. And think about what things you are interested in and might want to move into.

Then look at what you've done - what skills have you got (and I agree, it's crucial to get the keywords), what experience have you got?

You should be starting to get an idea of what your ideal job profile looks like, so then you need to look for the sort of jobs it would fit, and see how what they're asking for - if you've got any particular skills gaps, what training or experience do you need to fill those gaps? Maybe you'll need to consider a sideways move to get that before you get to the ideal job.

When it comes to your CV, emphasise (i.e. put it near the top) the experience and skills that most align to what you would like to do next. By this, I mean, there's a large part of my current role which I'm good at, have training in, and I've got the tech keywords. But it's not something I find particularly thrilling, so while it's on my CV, it's not going to be one of the things I make prominent.

There's lots of stuff online about how to make your LinkedIn profile get more interest, so when you've reviewed profiles as PastoralCare suggests, and reviewed your skills and experience, you need to update your profile to tie that all together. There's also general advice like using a professional headshot. (It doesn't actually need to be professional, but just your head, looking neat and tidy, against a neutral background.)

If you go to a CV writing service, you're still going to have to do most of this work yourself - they can't tell you what you've done and how to present it until you've told them what you've done and what you want to do, so one way or another, the work's down to you! Good luck.

user1467210037 Wed 29-Jun-16 15:33:23

Hi,
Can I suggest you visit myperfectcv.co.uk. As well as helping you design and complete your CV it also give you suggestions to include which relate to your job title and these suggestions include the buzzwords that the automated systems look for. I found it really useful recently when I redid my CV after a long time. If you want to get the final version, you do have to pay for it. (I'm afraid I copied and pasted what I needed into another template ). It is also useful if you want to do a couple of different CVs for different job titles.

poocatcherchampion Wed 06-Jul-16 05:46:18

My advice would be to find a job that looks attractive to you and write your CV with that in mind.

You need to edit it for each role anyway, but I found writing in the practical better than the abstract.

CatherineDeB Wed 06-Jul-16 06:24:07

I agree with Poo! I am looking for a job after we moved and have qualifications/experience in three different areas. So, I have got three different CVs depending on what I am applying for and a general one.

Even then adapting it for a job does take me a couple of hours.

There are brief courses on applying for jobs and interview techniques on Future Learn from the University of Sheffield which I subscribed to as I have always been headhunted in the past yet am struggling to get a job right now where I don't know anyone sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now